Disconnect trouble!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I’m an official idiot!

I’ve tried the stainless steel gas one on both different posts and it works now!

It was the black stainless disconnect that I was trying to get on my hand pump before though, but the carbonation cap was hanging in the air and not rooted down like it would be on a keg. Probably why I couldn’t do it. Ha ha sorry! 😂

First picture is the gas disconnect fitted to my fermenter king jr, and the second picture is the same disconnect fitted to the 27L fermzilla carbonation cap.

E1C51A4D-EF14-4C22-BCDC-C9B5AEB84BA9.jpeg
1BFDD300-9D32-4646-A4CA-2C0D9556EDAE.jpeg

Are you trying to hook up a gas disconnect to a liquid post? Or vice versa?

No, this is the black one. It's hard to go wrong really, there's a thick black stripe on it, and a grey one on the other one. I know I'm an idiot but I'm not a complete moron 😂

Anyway if these fermzilla posts are universal, shouldn't they both fit?

So my final answer is as follows:-

The grey stainless steel disconnects fit on the fermzilla carbonation caps, but the black ones do not. These are brand new so not dirty in any way.

The husband has noticed an extra ridge in the black ones which you can clearly see here. So I am not going mad after all.

Black one is on the left.

AA3E9E69-8C31-4F02-B5C6-1A6E2645DCC4.png

So the black one will go on the corny liquid post but not the fv liquid post? And a normal, plastic, black disconnect will go on both corny and fv liquid posts?
Very strange. Could be the black SS is faulty. I would certainly query this issue with the supplier. Does the grey SS go on both fv posts?

I haven't tried the black SS on the normal keg posts yet, as there's nothing on the other end of it and I don't fancy a shower just now :D

Haven't tried the grey SS on the liquid side of the 'corny' as I don't want to risk getting it stuck (fermenter king jr)

Yes the plastic black one will go on everything (both vessels)

I have two of each SS disconnects, black and grey, and the black ones are both the same, with the ridge. If I'd have known they didn't fit the fermzilla I wouldn't have bought them. Because I can't use my bottle pump now to clean the (stainless) beer lines out.

I think technically they're meant for corny kegs. That's the impression I get.

Last edited:
Ok, in the first photo of your fv's, I can see little notches in the base of the post. This makes me think that particular fv doesn't have uni posts. The other ones I have no experience with. Do they look different in any way?

Yes, the first picture (fermenter king jr) are not universal. The gas one has a line running through the bottom portion of it, that tells you it's for gas only.

I measured the dimensions earlier - the non-universal ones were 9mm longer.

It really should go onto the liquid post on the fermenter jr then. Absolutely no reason, that I can think of, why it shouldn't. And it also won't go onto your sanatiser bottle thing. Surely the problem lies with the disconnect then. At this point, I wouldn't have much faith in it attaching to a corny liquid post. The fact the gas SS one works makes me think it's a dud.

I don't know. It's a lot of money to pay for a less than optimal quality product, and I highly doubt TMM would sell me rubbish.

I paid £60 for the four of them, and I expect them to work.

I do think though, if universal posts means universal for plastic only, they should make that clear when they're selling them.

Hi Tess email MM and ask to look at the thread so they can see thr pics and every thing that has been discussed they have a membership on this forum and I am sure they will help to get to the bottom of it

@borischarlton

Please could you take a look at this thread and tell me if your stainless steel disconnects pictured above, are compatible with the fermzilla carbonation caps which you sell? The gas ones are pictured above, but I am having trouble connecting the liquid ones to my carbonation caps, which I have bought from you also. One of them was delivered today, along with some O-rings which I have replaced on my posts before trying the new SS disconnects.

Many thanks
Lisa C

Last edited:
Ok, got it. The way that the stainless disconnect are machined to make them either gas in or product out is different on stainless disconnects. This makes the stainless beer out disconnects incompatible with the carbonation caps. It's funny as we have had issues before with the black plastic disconnects being more difficult to seat than the grey with the carbonation caps but I never thought to check the compatibility with the stainless. Sorry.
We can send another grey stainless, refund or whatever is easy for you @Tess Tickle. Please email hello@themaltmiller and we will have it sorted.

Latest posts

Back