DIY my 'arris !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
I hate DIY programmes on the telly, women watch ‘em and see an hour long programme and in it they knock down an old house, replace it with a ten bedroomed mansion, plaster paint and decorate it, all in a one hour programme. The problem is women think that we mere mortals, on our own can sort any DIY jobs in minutes and spend the rest of the day sat on our backsides :nono:

Take this morning, got up as usual 7.30ish and wandered through into the kitchen, MrsC is off today with chest and throat infection, she announced that the curtain rail in the lounge was broken. I wandered through and yes, it was broken OK, the rail itself was hanging off twisted and several of the brackets had snapped :roll:

Now Thursday is my fishing day with my ‘oppo and now the weather has improved we came out of hibernation last week and had a grand day, we were due to meet up this morning, not any more :(

So, by 8am I was taking down the curtains and gathering tools etc starting to strip down the old mangled rail, cleared everything up and got ready to replace the rail. Our local DIY spot isn’t particularly big and didn’t stock a 3.25m rail so off to BNQ, 12 miles away!
Got home and started by cleaning the windows, inside and out, mix a bit of paste up and stick down a loose edge of the wallpaper, then start the replacement. Needless to say nothing is straightforward, the screws provided were ****, soft headed and really not very good, so root around for some decent screws. The only rail I could get that was long enough was in a bloody coil, so had to give this thing a feckin bath in really hot water so it would straighten out properly, even then it was like wrestling a giant Anaconda :evil:

Eventually got the rail up and re hung the curtains, they’re a hell of a weight, but the had to come back down again because they needed re threading (don’t ask, haven’t a clue) re hung then had to re hash the end stops, the new style are weak and don’t stop the bloody curtains from flying off the end, root around to see if I’d any old ones that would fit, luckily I did.

So finally finished, at 1pm :!: missed the fishing, 5 bloody hours to sort a sodding curtain rail out, never mind what happens on the bloody telly, welcome to the real world :tongue: Luckily MrsC was around and had the good grace to say she didn’t realise what a pain in the ‘arris a ‘straightforward job’ could be :!:

So next time Nick feckin Knowles is grinning from the telly having just completed the latest DIY ‘botch it in an hour’ job, you’ll be like me, grab a beer and mutter the word ‘bollocks’ under your breath :drink:

I kind of wondered about these programmes... Just how much of it was botched and papered over?

Then I saw one, poor bloke with cancer who had started a renovation before his diagnosis, They basically mullered this guy's house in a week and a half, cracking job, proper big building work, prefab extension, the lot. He was good enough to divulge the actual effort involved...

10,000 man hours!!! 1,000 hours a day!!! 60 people working 16 hour days...

:shock:

cheers Barry... I have a curtain rail hanging loose at the moment....2 screws out of 4 pulled out.... :shock: :shock:

working till sat...then rugby then brew day sunday...... how long can 2 screws hold ?

I think Baz is offering to do your DIY for you PD.

having done one he is now an expert and can do everyones for free!!

:whistle:

Very funny post :)

But think of all the brownie points you've got in the bag now with SWMBO for brewing-related purchases, activities or consumption :)

cutnrun said:
I think Baz is offering to do your DIY for you PD.

having done one he is now an expert and can do everyones for free!!

:whistle:

Re-arrange this well known saying ........

off bugger can you :tongue:

what does can off bugger you mean ?

Same with gardening programs where they never show the slebrity gardener with 3 inches of mud caked around their boots trying to dig out couch grass rhizomes!

Professionally, this kind of thing affects me too. People watch CSI and Law n' Order and then wonder why a toxin screen takes 3 months or why we havent got DNA from 'epithelials' or any of the other bizarre nonsense these shows come up with etc. A lot of people dont know the difference between make believe and the real world.

artyb said:
missed ya fishin .... :shock:

what are you baz a man or a mouse... :rofl:

Nope, quite wrong :nono:

It's down to standards old chap, I couldn't leave it like that, (nothing to do with MrsC) if it's a leaky tap or the cars not running right, I get them fixed, don't leave it :!:

My OP was a tongue in cheek look at how long people PERCEIVE it takes to do DIY jobs and the time actually taken to do them :lol:

Back