Do have a hop problem?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRXnMe

Landlord.
Reaction score
OK, since the relocation I've been spending time reading the recipe / brew day posts that have cropped up, and for some reason paying more attention than before.

I notice that many brews use well under 100g of hops, and usually pretty 'medium' alpha acid hops at that.

My own brews rarely ever use less than 100g of medium alpha acid hops, in some cases close to 100g of high alpha acid (15%+) hops.

I find the usual 100g stuff nice, but only really get satisfaction from either my 100g of Cascade hops, 80g of Calypso hops. or 150g combined Fuggles and EKG.

When I go out for beer I lean towards beers from places like the Celt brewery or my 'local micro' Tiny Rebel, both of whom make high IBU beers :)

So, have I got a hop problem?

Is the hop bitterness addictive?

I've always preferred more heavily hopped commercial beers, most usually in bottles but occasionally ones from micro breweries too.

Is there an addictive chemical? I don't think so - I'll bet its personal preference, experience and possibly different physical differences (genetics/taste buds).

I think so mate, you are a true hophead.
I can help you if you send all your remaining hops to me and I will dispose of them carefully. ;-)

Not sure I could give up my fix that easily TBH, hoppy beer is just too good to give up on :)

Yeah me too, my addiction is growing with every brew :thumb
My last brew was a Coopers IPA with 50g of Amarillo (dry hopped) but it's already losing the taste/aroma might have to up my medication:rofl:

I think I've definitely got one, averaging about 10gr a litre for my brews.

I also tried the newish Tesco Revisionist range, which advertise their hoppiness, and thought they had none whatsoever.

I have some, currently, unused (:mad:) raised planting beds that I nearly broke my back building for her indoors out of polish railway sleepers!

I am going to commandeer them and plant hop plants to harvest in 2015 to feed my addiction. More experienced hop growing experts tell me it's too late for 2014.

Perhaps I can grow grasses on the rest of the garden? And culture my own yeast too!

I might never have to leave the house! :wink:

I'm a bit of a hophead too.
Love Celt & Tiny Rebel, originally from Machen. Now living in Bath I have plenty more to choose from. Bristols craft scene has gone mental in the last 18 months.
Only just started brewing, got the new youngs American IPA kit & St Peters Ruby red kits on the go...dry hopping the Ruby red.

Only just started brewing, got the new youngs American IPA kit & St Peters Ruby red kits on the go...dry hopping the Ruby red.

That's a good call on hop front for the St Peters Ruby! It was my second kit. Being a 'noob' too, I followed the instructions and used the powdered hops in the sachet! I'd forgotten id put them in until I just thought about it! Which shows you how much effect it had!

It's a great full bodied beer though - with the hops addition it should be awesome! If you can manage it (difficult I know :wink:) don't touch it for a couple of months, if bottling! Don't have a keg, so can't comment on that but I suspect you could attack it a bit sooner!

Don't forget to stick a review in the 'beer kit reviews' section so we know how you got on! Hope it goes as good as mine!

Latest posts

Back