Do I Chance It

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon
I hope this Is In the right section If not my opologies

My Query Is this
I was going to do a brew this afternoon Wilcos Golden Ale. I normally use Wilco's Gervin Ale yeast as recommended on this forum but unfortunately Wilcos have run out:-( I have a couple of sachets at home but I don't know how long I've had em'. Now, do I chance It and go for It and hope It works? If I do go for It and It fails how long can I leave the mix (wort & sugars) In the fv until I get some more which will probally be Friday something In the back of my head Is saying sod It go for It. What do you think I should do?

Cheers Pete

Good Afternoon
I hope this Is In the right section If not my opologies

My Query Is this
I was going to do a brew this afternoon Wilcos Golden Ale. I normally use Wilco's Gervin Ale yeast as recommended on this forum but unfortunately Wilcos have run out:-( I have a couple of sachets at home but I don't know how long I've had em'. Now, do I chance It and go for It and hope It works? If I do go for It and It fails how long can I leave the mix (wort & sugars) In the fv until I get some more which will probally be Friday something In the back of my head Is saying sod It go for It. What do you think I should do?

Cheers Pete
is there not a use by date on em?

Yes there Is. I feel a right f*#!ing idiot now :oops:It was stamped on the side seam of the packet now I've put my glasses on I can see It.

Thanks Chub1, Now I can get one on.
And thanks to Robin54

Cheers Pete

Last edited:
There should be a date but it is hard to find. It is stamped into the seam around the edge of the packet I think. Even if it is a couple of months past that I would think it would be OK, especially if it has been stored in the fridge.

The Wilko yeast is dead reliable so I would chuck it in and hope for the best, I'd be very surprised if it failed. Dried yeast generally lose something like 3-5% of viability per year so you will likely still have lots of good cells.

One thing you can do to help is make sure you rehydrate the yeast to give it the best chance when it goes into your wort.

Yes there Is. I feel a right f*#!ing idiot now :oops:It was stamped on the side seam of the packet now I've put my glasses on I can see It.

And thanks to Robin54

Cheers Pete
:thumb:They are not easy to read

And thanks to Robin54

Cheers Pete
No your not an idiot, cos it took me ages to find it and then I needed a magnifying glass:D

Latest posts

Back