Do i have to use yeast nutrient

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi guys i want to get my blackberry wine underway but i haven't got any yeast nutrient. i cant get out to the nearest store as its about 20 miles away. Ive got some young's burgundy yeast to use, so my question is do i really need the nutrient or can i do without it

I'm new to it but i do understand that u need to use nutrient with wines especially apples! you can use raisins as a nutrient which i have done sever times.

get some raisins boil them in water for 15 mins while its boiling mash them with a fork to get the juices out then strain the water in to the fermenter and stir

Alternatively you can simply add red grape juice, readily available from Azda and Lidl at £1 per litre. As the colour of blackberry wine fades in time, the grape juice will help preserve some colour.
I use Youngs super wine yeast compound, which works out very cheap and includes nutrient.

Cool thanks, i went with boiling the raisins! cant wait for my blackberry wine, last years was pretty good!!

Have a book that says you can use Marmite too, not sure whether the flavour impacts on the finished product.

That's another I have read here, I haven't heard of its strong taste spoiling your wine or cider .

Back