Do I need to degas if carbonising?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcol

Reaction score
Okay this may seem like a daft question, but I'm not sure so asking anyway. :)
I make white wine from a kit. A just add water and a little effort kit. I've been making this wine for a couple of years and its a pretty robust kit. What I've taken to doing recently is carbonising the wine just prior to drinking. This involves pouring a bottles worth into a 1 litre plastic bottle and pressuring with CO2. Results are great, but the question I have is, is the degassing step prior to adding finings required as part of the finings process or can I forget about degassing if I intend to carbonise it?
Thanks for your time.

It will take a lot longer to clear if it isn't degassed. But you could go down the champagne style route instead, don't stabilize/degas/fine the wine at all, bottle into plastic PET bottles and add a little sugar to encourage secondary fermentation to carbonate the wine. Leave in a warm place for a couple of weeks then move somewhere cooler. It will clear given time but there will be a sediment at the bottom of the bottle, just chill and then pour carefully when drinking to avoid disturbing the sediment leaving about half an inch of the wine behind with the sediment in.

Thanks Graz. Any idea how long to clear? It usually takes about a week tops after degassing with the finings in the kit. But then I suppose I already spent about 3/4 days degassing cause I get bored and only do it a couple of times a day. If it's no more than a week, I'll run without degassing.
I'd rather pull the garbage out of the wine and not secondary ferment. The carbonating process is very simple and works great so not that interested in the added messing about to do champagne style.
Thanks.

Luckily you've already had a sensible answer, as the only answer I can give right now is:-

Sounds like a question for Han Solo....:thumb1:

Back