Do PET bottle caps wear out?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoofy

Reaction score
I've been brewing for just over a year and I guess my bottles have been reused maybe 10 times and just in the last month I've noticed that when I've bottled my beer and left it in the warm for a couple of weeks there has been a slight leakage from the bottles.

Is it the caps that need replacing or should I replace the bottles and the caps?

My system has always been the same, using 80g of sugar to batch prime and also the kits are the same ones as I've done in the past with no problems.

I would say the threads too, but maybe you could test them with soda water or something? the plastic inners of the caps may have become loose, so they might be salvagable.

that said, they are cheap to replace so there's probably no reason not to...

Thanks. I'll pick some up at my LHBS when I go in next week. Let's hope that cures the problem or I'll have to fork out for new bottles too to try and rectify it.

I've just had a thought.

The leaking bottle problem has coincided with me starting to use a non rinse cleanser which makes my hands slimy, so maybe I'm not tightening the caps up like I used to?

I'll try re-tightening them all from now on once my hands are dry.

Update.

I decided to buy some new tops after all and I still have the leakage problem with my last brew after it had been stood in the bottles in the warm for two weeks. So it has to be the bottles, I think.

It was obvious which bottle was the culprit as it was only half full and there was about half a pint of beer in the plastic storage box the bottles were kept in. I squeezed the bottle and inspected it for any signs of wear or cracks etc, but nothing was obvious so I just threw that bottle away.

Seeing as this has been happening for a few months now I suspect all my bottles are almost at their useful life span limit and will all need replacing in the near future.

Latest posts

Back