cleaning and storing PET bottles (soda pop bottles)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
hi guys
how do you clean and store your plastic PET bottles if you use them. i saw online someone said he rinses them then quirts a few pumps of vodka in there to keep em from growing anything then caps em. has anyone else tried this or if not any suggestions on how to clean and store plastic bottles. i guess pet fermenters would be the same.

thanks in advance

Rinse out. Maybe wash them with a bottle brush. Dry them out, store with the caps on.

Sanitise on bottling day

The bottle brush may scratch them, but I tend to use PET bottles mostly for postage, so I don't reuse them much

As @Agentgonzo says , but always immediately rinse them out as soon.as you pour, especially if your going to leave them till later for washing.
I find that if they have been bottled conditioned the little bit of liquid I leave behind help to dislodge any debris if I give them a.quick swirl.

I just swill them out well immediately after emptying to prevent any dried on beer or trub that might have settled out, then give a wash in hot soapy water then leave to dry and store in a box. then when needed I'll give them a good soak in starsan and good to go.

But as said before I don't use them routinely, just for sharing.

I have found that an immediate rinse, and even a vigorous shake, won't get rid of all the bottle conditioning yeast. There is always a fine mist of yeast on the inside of the bottle sides (not just the base).

A quick bottle brush dislodges it though.

Rinse out after pourin, then cleaned properly when I have a batch of glass bottles, using oxyclean. The PETs then get a glug of starsan, capped, a quick shake and then stored until bottling. I only use a few for checking carbonation and taking to homebrew club.

I do as above , but a few days before bottling i give then a soak in a solution of VPW , rinse and they are ready to go . You would be very surprised with the colour of the water when you finish .

I probably do incorrectly :tongue:
Anyway, I wash the bottle, sanitise it using Chemsan (not always, but I do it if I received the bottle first time or if I did not sanitise it in the last 3-6 months, 6 months if it was mainly keeping water) and then pour water inside so that there is absolutely minimum of air. I then use water on my brewing day or drain if I want to share my ale. So far, I did not see any mold in my bottles
I wash caps thoroughly as they usually start growing mold first

Just remember don't go too hot with the water as they start to melt. Then they lose the capability to withstand pressure.

That said PET is pretty strong so most homebrew shouldn't stress it that much.

hi guys
how do you clean and store your plastic PET bottles if you use them. i saw online someone said he rinses them then quirts a few pumps of vodka in there to keep em from growing anything then caps em.
That was probably me.
Works like a charm. Been doing it for years after I found out how Polish vodka factories wash their bottles.
And if you forget to drain it... No panic.

1) rinse after pouring beer
2) give a soak in VWP if there is any yeast residue stuck to the bottom of the bottle
3) rinse all VWP out
4) quick squirt of starsan
5) throw in a plastic crate un "capped"

When it comes to bottling

1) give a quick rinse in warm water to remove any residue water from the previous cleaning process
2) give a good squirt of starsan

This is exactly the same process I use for glass bottles with the exception that my glass (due to volume) is stored in crates outside and has plastic re-usable caps applied to the bottles.

Vodka? Why, when for the price of a litre of vodka you can make 157L of Starsan. And have a Bloody Mary for breakfast.

hi guys thanks for the replys. whats vpw is that the same as pbw in the US

Attachments

• 1699538137292.png
    1699538137292.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 0
No PWB is peroxide based, VWP is chlorine based. PWB is an enhanced version of oxy laundry stain removers.

750x750_148_b761494c13939cef377e184a79b1d9a7_1563553100750x750151added3ced0e1480.jpg

Latest posts

Back