Do you get this?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got this, in a batch.

20240326_192115.jpg

This started perhaps 2 years ago. I think it is beer rock.

I started treating my water with 15 - 20ml of AMS. Problem solved. I thought. But it has reappeared.

Anyone any ideas. This beer is perhaps 4-6 weeks old, does not gush, clear. Is this calcium oxylate?

Last edited:
Is it hard to remove? Could it be yeast sticking to the bottle for some reason? I have never seen anything like that before on my bottles.

I think we used to get something like that on some glasses after they'd been in the dishwasher. Some of them just turned cloudy over time and it wasn't possible to clean it off. It stopped when we got a new dishwasher and I decided to take notice of the lights that told me when it needed rinse aid and salt.

Doesn't help, though, sorry.

Very hard to remove. Proper pain.

The yeast sediment just washes away.

Never seen anything like that before at all! I see a light haze on my bottles after I wash them, I just put it down to carbonate residue after they have dried a bit. Then I got to thinking it was some sort of residue from the PURO OXI I use to clean my bottles, but I give them a really good rinse so it is a mystery to me what the hell it is but it is never there after I have drank the beer and given the bottle a rinse ?

Very hard to remove. Proper pain.

The yeast sediment just washes away.

When you have washed the bottle and the staining has been removed is there any difference to the surface of the glass, is it shiny ? I am wondering if it is a surface defect in the glass that traps sediment?

I’m fairly sure it will be an insoluble protein polyphenol chill haze which will occur through cold conditioning. Don’t use hot water to wash the bottles as it will stick it like glue to the bottle. Removal will either require an alkaline cleaner or soak in an acid - something like flat cola would also work. The alternative would potentially be excess kettle finings - a dose of 50mg/l is sufficient so for a 30 litre boil 0.15g is enough.

Ok why are you getting this and why is it settling so consistently….that’s the more puzzling question. Can you say how long you are conditioning- and if you do so in bulk and then bottle, or bottle from the fermenter directly? It will be pH dependent, I think pH 4 is maximal but that’s from memory without going through my notes. Bulk conditioning before bottling would likely avoid the problem.

Last edited:
Excess kettle finings really was a factor.

Your analysis of conditioning is also spot on, bottled warm on day 7 typically. Kept at 20c for another 7 days and then stored at 10c typically.

Caustic did remove.

I will be bottling a batch with reduced protofloc this week. Let's see.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I had beer stone. It is attributed to very hard water areas.That is cured now with water treatment. It really is a bugger to clean.
The dairy industry have the same issue (with calcium oxylate) and "milk stone" remover is brilliant. Acid not so. I really thought I was going to have to ditch bottles at one point.

That article refers to beer stone being a compound of protein and calcium. I have removed the calcium element (with water treatment). Is the the other (the protein) - same issue just less sticky now 😁

Thank you

Last edited:
For the record this didn't present as a beer quality fault, just unsightly.

But it will be interesting to see if beer quality improves.

Back