Do you have any tips to reduce the yeast flavour of my beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRTurner1234

Reaction score
Hi,

My second batch of kit made home brew is currently in the FV. It's been in there for 11 days and will be ready for bottling in the next day or 2.

My first batch had quite a yeastly flavour and I want to reduce this in my second batch.

What are your top tips for reducing the yeast flavour in my home brew made from a kit?

Cheers
JRT

Cold crash the beer before bottling.

Try a different yeast.

Yeast flavours are an integral part of a beer. You want to minimise yeast sediment but if you have done that and don't like the yeast flavour, find a yeast you do like. Even if it's one with minimal flavour.

Depending on the size of the yeast sachet provided you could try pitching less. That said, most kits come with barely enough yeast so that's not likely to be a problem.

Depending on the size of the yeast sachet provided you could try pitching less. That said, most kits come with barely enough yeast so that's not likely to be a problem.

Be careful - under-pitching can be a cause of yeast stress, I believe, which may lead to fusel alcohols. Pitch the right amount, and then use all methods possible to reduce the yeast that transfers to the bottle. A solution may be to pasteurise the beer after fermentation, but you would still need to add a little yeast before bottling to enable carbonation. Unless you get a keg system that allows you to force carb the beer.

Be careful - under-pitching can be a cause of yeast stress, I believe, which may lead to fusel alcohols. Pitch the right amount, and then use all methods possible to reduce the yeast that transfers to the bottle. A solution may be to pasteurise the beer after fermentation, but you would still need to add a little yeast before bottling to enable carbonation. Unless you get a keg system that allows you to force carb the beer.

Absolutely, I did mean to put a link to a pitching calculator but lost my train of thought half way thru. :lol:

I might go with a different yeast, you didnt say what kit or yeast it was so hard to offer any useful advice without the added info.

How did it ferment, was it a slow ferment, did it get stuck, what were the gravity readings start and finish. All these factors could have a bearing on things.

I tend to go for a robust yeast that goes like the clappers, then pretty much stops in its tracks between days 5 and 7.

Cold crash the beer before bottling.

I have a question re cold crashing. I have recently used low flocculating yeast, after three weeks there is lots of yeast suspended in beer so I would like to cold crash before bottling. What temperature should I aim for, will there be enough yeast in beer after cold crashing for bottling?

Apparently 4C is the ideal temp, but if you can't do that, anywhere cooler will help. Like leaving it outside overnight, perhaps. Yes, there will be enough yeast to carbonate the beer.

I have a question re cold crashing. I have recently used low flocculating yeast, after three weeks there is lots of yeast suspended in beer so I would like to cold crash before bottling. What temperature should I aim for, will there be enough yeast in beer after cold crashing for bottling?

Hi, low flocculating yeast is best for Belgium styled beers, (German Hefeweizens and Belgian Wit beers), try to use a medium or a high if your brewing an English style Ale, then you wont have to cold crash.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Apparently 4C is the ideal temp, but if you can't do that, anywhere cooler will help. Like leaving it outside overnight, perhaps. Yes, there will be enough yeast to carbonate the beer.

I made a styrofoam fridge which can go down to 8C, so I will try that :) Cheers.

Hi, low flocculating yeast is best for Belgium styled beers, (German Hefeweizens and Belgian Wit beers), try to use a medium or a high if your brewing an English style Ale, then you wont have to cold crash.

Hi, actually I used what was supposedly to be an English strain, there is a new company in Poland which manufactures liquid yeasts. I brewed several beers using that strain, the best one spent nearly five weeks in FVs and came out quite clear. Unfortunately I do not know what specific strain this one is. Right now I am using WLP002 and WLP007 and these are a completely different story! :)

What's this company in Poland and who sells their yeast?

They are called Fermentum Mobile and they introduced their yeast last year if I am not mistaken. I guess they are focused on the Polish market for now, their yeasts are available in some Polish online shops. Since their labs are some 30 km away from where I live I thought why not give them a try, fresh yeast after all.
As I said, they do not provide info what region or brewery the strain comes from, this particular strain is described as "classic English strain for bitters, rich flavour and aroma, high ester production" and "very low flocculent".

Latest posts

Back