Do you use pressure barrels or bottles for your home-brewed BEER?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use pressure barrels or bottles for your home-brewed beer?

• I mostly or always use a KingKeg pressure barrel

• I mostly or always use a cheaper brand of pressure barrel

• I mostly or always bottle it

• I use pressure barrels and bottles

• I no longer use KingKegs due to leaks

• I no longer user cheaper brands of pressure barrel due to leaks

• I use Cornies!

Results are only viewable after voting.

kelper

Old Salt
Reaction score
Do you use pressure barrels or bottles for your home-brewed BEER? Or both?

I really appreciate all the members who voted. It's a lot. I hope the results are interesting?

Last edited:
Does it genuinely taste better if it is bottled? I’m curious to know, I’ve only made one home brew before and I did it in a pressure barrel. If it is worth it, I will use bottles for my next brew.

Bottles and kegs, but not pressure barrels, the ones you need gas for. In this day and age I can't believe how incredibly unreliable pressure barrels are. Not many products are 50% unusable straight from the manufacturer and cause the destruction of their intention.

It's like buying jam jams where half of the lids have holes drilled for wasps to get in.

Bottles and kegs, but not pressure barrels, the ones you need gas for. In this day and age I can't believe how incredibly unreliable pressure barrels are. Not many products are 50% unusable straight from the manufacturer and cause the destruction of their intention.

It's like buying jam jams where half of the lids have holes drilled for wasps to get in.

I second this. I have only just started brewing again after a hiatus and purchased a King Keg which turned out to be useless. It seemed like it had no leaks but somehow the beer that was stored in it was ruined. The bottles from the same batch tasted infinitely better. As much as I would like to have the ease of using a PB without needing to get a gas cylinder and all the associated fixings that come with a corny keg I don't think I'll take the chance again and will continue to bottle until I brew so much that it becomes a burden at which point I'll have to source some cornies and a gas supplier.

I'd love to be able to buy a pressure barrel that just works as it should from the outset. I'm put off with all the unreliability I hear about.

Sankey kegs and then a few litres in bottles or cans (absolute brewing tart)

I carb up to 15psi and drop back to ten while dispensing. I get a lot of head but it settles quickly and I like the look of it. My wives both said, 'I wish you'd look at me like that!'
1593186146622.png

I've just finished my first ever brew, a Coopers stout and its turned out superb! I bought a balliihoo king keg and really pleased with it. It comes with a schrader valve fitted to the lid and also comes with a pressure gauge to check its holding pressure they even thinly coated the seal.

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_073803.jpg
    IMG_20200626_073803.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 104
I've just finished my first ever brew, a Coopers stout and its turned out superb! I bought a balliihoo king keg and really pleased with it. It comes with a schrader valve fitted to the lid and also comes with a pressure gauge to check its holding pressure they even thinly coated the seal.
That is a KingKeg!

I have 3 King Kegs. All gave me problems with reliability etc. I dumped the plastic cap and HB valve and replaced with my own design of cap. So far so good. Don’t brew beers needing high carbonation so keep my barrel pressure no higher than 10 psi so barrel shell is not stressed. I bottle 3-4 bottles per brew for the library.

Back