Does anyone else use their hop spider in this way.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Whittaker

Reaction score
Ages back, I found that my hop spider sits perfectly in my fermzilla opening.
So ever since, i use it as a pre filter.
1617284920722.png

Just thought I'd share, since reading a couple of post of junk getting into FV.

Exactly what I do to transfer to my FV. I usually do not catch much in it though as Protofloc and a good spoon stirred whirlpool then a stand of 20 mins or so leaves most **** behind. I use the FV's with a 4 inch neck so fits in perfect

I must try that I‘ve being using a colander and piece of muslin cloth which works but gets clogged up very quickly.

I must admit, i've never used a Protofloc, but the stirred whirlpool + rest, is also a must in my process too.
I do get some junk out. My last hot side hop addition was 80g in a half batch. Plus, i try and get every last bit out. :laugh8:

@obscure - If you do, then sanitize the outside the feed pipe going into the hop spider. You can then use it to swirl around, sending the junk to the bottom (of the hop spider), keeping the sides free to drain.

I must try that I‘ve being using a colander and piece of muslin cloth which works but gets clogged up very quickly.
That's the way I filter my small batches, but if your muslin is getting clogged then so will the hop spider- even quicker. The problem is with using hop pellets. I now boil them in a leg cut off a pair of tights (XXL Thunder-Thighs size) and that reduces 90% of the cloggies. (Boil new tights first a couple of times to get the colouring and the ghastly scent out of them).

Forgot to say the hops are put in the hop spider then at flameout I remove the spider rinse out the hops and put the clean spider in the top of the FV so the wort is running into a clean spider hence I hardly get any junk.
I too have tried the process with hops thrown in and no spider or hop bag and as AA says it will soon clog up with hop debris

I am ashamed to admit, but i did once have a overflow due to it clogging. Was taking a picture as it happened and i just froze. Pint of wort all over.
Now i spin the wort around the side walls as it flows in, does not clog the sides up. Plus i can not take selfies whilst doing this.

Back