does anyone have any hop plants for sale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Regular.
Reaction score
does anyone fairly local to the midlands and brum have any spare hop plants for sale at a reasonable amount, or does anyone know where i can buy some from, ie a farmer at ledbury say or a fellow gardener/brewer with some spare root cuttings,

hedgey

Don't know about southern parts of the country but we're well behind (plant growth wise) up here this year, but as always it'll catch up in a rush when the weather does pick up :!:

evanvine said:
So far its been a very poor year hopwise for me, so no extra shoots yet. :(
In fact my last years planting hasn't come up yet. :eek:

I bought 2 hop roots/rhysomes from Aplus Hops in March of this year, they both have shoots of about 6".
I've been growing a wild hops for a few years now, but they produce loads of stragly green shoots but very few hops, so i've dug em out.

The main thing with hops are that unless you know the variety they are then theyre pretty much useless. Hops really do grow like weeds, cuttings easily root and from one "mother" plant you can easily take 20 cuttings a year (I know, Ive got **** loads). From taking a cutting, to a mature, cropping plant will take 3 years, if you buy a rhizome you might harvest in the firat year. The only trouble with this is that your bine will not be as strong in the second year.

what gets me then is if hops can be reproduced so easily why do i have to pay £8 plus postage to buy them ?

the next point is choice, which fecking one to buy

on my wish list was casscade and or fuggles, as most of the recipies i have seen use them

hedgerow pete said:
what gets me then is if hops can be reproduced so easily why do i have to pay £8 plus postage to buy them ?

on my wish list was casscade and or fuggles, as most of the recipies i have seen use them
Mine is Prima Donna, it's a dwarf variety that grows around 4m, some of the other variety's grow to the heavens like Jack's beanstalk..

BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
hedgerow pete said:

Mine is Prima Donna, it's a dwarf variety that grows around 4m, some of the other variety's grow to the heavens like Jack's beanstalk..

BB

I used your method of hop measurement....at a stretch, got to 4.5 inches of fresh growth on the Bramlin Cross...4.5 inches thick...

heres a question then, when i opened my bag of hops today for my brew i found it had a few seeds in it floating on the wort, can these be used to seed plants?

yes i realise they cant go in boiling wort and then grow and i would have to grow several plants to find the female vines

Must admit i tried that too after not getting my rhizomes quick enough and them dying off. But seeds never germinated either, might have another bash later or could be a trip to uk next march to get some rhizomes.

Back