Hop seedlings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subtle Duck

Regular.
Reaction score
Not too sure where to post this,
I'd picked a load of wild hops last season and might have picked more than my fermenters could eat. Forward to this year, the container with the excess (maybe forgotten in a corner of the garden, intended for the compost pile) has given a nice surprise.
Anybody tried growing wild seedlings? The mother plants were very nice, maybe need a good plot of land to experiment with the multitudinous seedlings.
Edit: am willing to share some once I'm sure they've rooted in proper soil, can't guarantee female plants though

Attachments

• 20230426_175213.jpg
    20230426_175213.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Highly doubt it. I'm on the staffordshire/ Derbyshire border and never heard of any hop farms near by. Been working where I do for over 10 years and never seen any hops until they sprung up last year in both the hedge over the road and also another onsite. Both are now vigorously growing strong. They're almost overtaking the brambles
Edit: we are between a commercial & public train line to burton on trent. Wondering if something has dropped off on the way.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I spotted some wild hops at the side of the canal in haybridge, Essex when we were out walking at the weekend. They were rough and looked like my hops and were climbing up reeds. What do you think? Go easy on me if they are some sort of weed please 😂

Edit, now adding the photo 😳

353971CF-39ED-4E34-8F4E-826B6B587B9A.jpeg

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I spotted some wild hops at the side of the canal in haybridge, Essex when we were out walking at the weekend. They were rough and looked like my hops and were climbing up reeds. What do you think? Go easy on me if they are some sort of weed please 😂
I see lots of hops by river banks think they the water

Definitely look like hops. Keep your eye on them, won't show, either male or female, until their mature. But might be in for a winner later on in the season

I am pretty sure I spotted some wild hops at the side of the canal in haybridge, Essex when we were out walking at the weekend. They were rough and looked like my hops and were climbing up reeds. What do you think?
Yep, look hoppy. There used to be quite a lot of hops in Essex in the 18th century, like around 1000 acres, but farms switched to different crops during the 19th century. Also on the North Clays of Nottinghamshire up towards Retford :
1683987321972.png

Amazing where hops can grow. In 70-72 I used to go picking with my dad where they grew beside the gasometers in Northam Southampton. Lovely hops, they seemed to me and they made a lovely homebrew with a can or two of Edme or Boots malt extract. Or at least it seemed lovely in those days, and it probably was. I recall I used to bottle up using wine bottles and corks. Corks pushed in by hand with a bit of string at the side to let the air out. I then progressed to a crown capper, which needed a hammer to put the caps on. Used it for about 20 years and I think I only broke two bottlles. Worst experience with the corks was when some of the corks blew out, which I promptly replaced only to find that bluebottles (flies) had got into the bottles in the meantime. I don't recall that it spoiled the beer though.

Latest posts

Back