Double brew day. Both OG low.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, like the heading says I had a double brew day today. An oatmeal stout and Bells two hearted clone. The stout was 1042 instead of 1050 and the two hearted was really low 1042 instead of 1064. I've brewed that before and last time the OG was spot on. The only thing I changed was the base malt from pale ale to maris otter done everything else the same. Has anyone got any ideas why they went so wrong? And will it change the taste or just the alcohol content? I'm a bit peed off it's been a long day. Cheers in advance.

Hi, just a follow up to this. Would the grain not being crushed properly effect the og? I thought at the time that it didnt look as finely crushed as usual. Cheers.

Yes, if your malt is only coarsely milled it will take a lot longer to get all the sugar out. Assuming you mashed for the regular duration your OG could be lower as a result - all other things being equal.
Thanks for the reply. Its the only thing I can think of cause I've done nothing different. Unless the thermometer is knackered on my brewmonk but I don't think so. Cheers .

Latest posts

Back