drinking away against the French !!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonnierider

Reaction score
:cheers: Its family holiday time again.Me the missus and four kids.
any advice on anything worth guzzling in France.(Brittany)The usual cold fizzy pi** does not bare thinking about.Do the French have any micro breweries or real ale of any sort????HELP i AM NOT A BIG WINE DRINKER .I will give the Calvados (or however its spelt) a good seeing to but i will need a pint (or .75ltr)of something.So come on all you international bar gurus HELP.Thanks

take a car boot full of your own across the Channel.... That will be a bit of a novelty. Customs wont be expecting that...

Britanny has Cidré or however the Stella advert goes, very good stuff (doesn't taste like the Stella stuff). Comes in earthen ware mugs.

They do have some good beers in France, I lived there for 4 years and when you dig deep enough you can find some well brewed beers. If you have time before you go do a search for micro breweries in the area that your going to. I love a brown beer that you can find in most supermarkets called "Pelforth" it's about 6.5%. You can also get Trappist beers which will give you a good nights after a few of them. :drunk:

Have a good time, we will be following in about 4 weeks time can't wait. :thumb:

ps....don't forget to take a couple of NF-Approved French Breathalyzer Kits. :roll:

The French breathaliser thing has been put on hold since the new primeminister took over.There was an amnesty for foreign drivers until November in any case.

Yup read this the other day, but I'll still have a couple in the car when we go for what they cost. All you need is a cop with a chip on his shoulder.

There are lots of different bottle conditioned beers you can buy, just look in any supermarket. Most are quite high alcohol (5.5% and upwards, some of the Trappist ales are over 9%), consequently you will need to be prepared to pay for them, from about 2.50€ per 500ml bottle.

Pelforth is always a good fallback for commercial beer, and comes in a variety of strengths and colours.

If you brew yourself, you might want to take a look at Fischer ale. It comes in 660ml flip top brown bottles, and is approx 1.50€ (if you don't want to export the bottles back to the UK, they have a deposit on them, so take them back to the supermarket!)

While you aren't going to find ales like you do in England, France isn't all about cheap bière blonde. Most of the bière brune and bière ambrée are well worth trying.

I would look out for some cheap stuff in 500ml flip-top bottles just to bring the bottles back.

e.g. Fischer 500ml

Bottle_of_Fischer_beer.jpg

I wish I coud find fischer in 500ml bottles! The ones in the supermarket are 660ml; but at 1.45€ I'm not complaining.

As the beer is 6.5%, it is generally a cheap night in for me (I'm such a lightweight lol)

You may be right casey and they may be 660ml. I only have a few Fisher bottles that my Dad 'forgot' to collect :D
I would make a point of stocking up next time I'm in France.

I would get on to trying some of the Belgian beers, like the trippel. Chimay are nice and have a good variety at different strengths. Mardsous, delerium, or spare all good. If you want a few beers, you can pick up one of their kegs they do. Affligem was quite a nice beer I had from the keg

Plenty of god choice out thereof you like Belgium beer. So much so, I want an estate car and a credit card with a large limit to stock up (always seem to use my stock up quite quickly, lol)

I want an estate car and a credit card with a large limit to stock up (always seem to use my stock up quite quickly,

Well I've got an estate and the bugger will be full when we return in about 6 weeks.... :party: :party:

Back