Dry hopping a wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheshirehomebrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, just brewed wheat beer that will stick in the carboy for a few days to allow it to settle before bottling and was wondering if those of you out there that had made some before did you dry hop? If so what did you use and why?

I am in two minds as I always drop hop my beers (mostly IPA and PA) but not sure if I should this time round as I want the wheatiness of the beer to shine through without drowning it in a hoppy taste

I've done a 3 Floyds Gumballhead clone, an American all Amarillo wheat beer fermented with US05. It was very nice, but was very clean and not at all yeasty as a result. I have no idea whether dry hopping would adversely affect a German style yeasty wheat beer or not.

If it's German or Belgian then I'd agree, don't dry hop it, you'll ruin the lovely esters from the yeast! That said, I dry hopped a Saison recently and it's yummy.

I've dry hopped wheats with cascade at 5g per gallon and it still had a banana ice-cream flavour. Also done cascade + columbus, EKG, simcoe, columbus + citra. I really liked the columbus+citra and the EKG least favourite as it really seemed to break the style. All 10g total per gallon apart from the first.

I bittered all of them to 15 IBUs.

It's sort of an American/German(ish) style hybrid wheat beer that I concocted when I was in the home brew shop buying grains, I made a 25 litre batch using:

3kg Weizenmalz
500gms Marris Otter (leftovers)
300gms Munich malt (using leftovers)
640gms Torrefied wheat (using leftovers)
Zythos hops (8.7% Alpha)
Safale US-05 as its my preferred yeast

Mashed at 62 degrees for an hour, fermented at 14 degrees, approx. abv should be 4.3%. IBU's approx. 16.5.

I don't mind a wheat taste but I really don't like a yeast taste in my beers. I still have Zythos hops left, also I have Hersbrucker (2.2% alpha), Opal (6.7% alpha), Pacific Jade (15% alpha), Amarillo (not sure the alpha), Sorachi (not sure the alpha) and some Cascade left somewhere too, so am not short on hops to use (if any).

It's sort of an American/German(ish) style hybrid wheat beer that I concocted when I was in the home brew shop buying grains, I made a 25 litre batch using:

3kg Weizenmalz
500gms Marris Otter (leftovers)
300gms Munich malt (using leftovers)
640gms Torrefied wheat (using leftovers)
Zythos hops (8.7% Alpha)
Safale US-05 as its my preferred yeast

Mashed at 62 degrees for an hour, fermented at 14 degrees, approx. abv should be 4.3%. IBU's approx. 16.5.

I don't mind a wheat taste but I really don't like a yeast taste in my beers. I still have Zythos hops left, also I have Hersbrucker (2.2% alpha), Opal (6.7% alpha), Pacific Jade (15% alpha), Amarillo (not sure the alpha), Sorachi (not sure the alpha) and some Cascade left somewhere too, so am not short on hops to use (if any).
I'd go with an ounce or two of either Zythos or Amarillo personally.

Have gone with 3gms of Zythos as a dry hop many thanks for all the replies, I'll let you know how it turns out

Back