Dry Hopping variations and options

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desmosteve

Reaction score
Hi all, plenty of people use the above including me, mostly in APA type brews, but I'm wondering what variations people use, all under the general banner of "dry hopping"

I've gone from adding at the start of fermentation to adding post fermentation while the beer is settling, using a sock of voile and just adding hop heads to the liquid.....still experimenting :party:

Adding too early proved to be wasteful - the hop aroma was mostly lost via the airlock :roll:

What are your experiences and recommendations with different timings, methods and volumes of hops?

Cheers

I only use pellets now. Much easier to work with and less beer loss.

10" Cartridge filter filled with hops . . . Beer pushed from Keg 1 to Keg 2 through the cartridge filter . . . Dry hops . . . sorted

i dry hop once fermentation has finished then rack to secondary cool to 15C then dry hop for 7 to 9 days

last brew
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4925950

just threw the hops in pellets and leaf
50g gram Simcoe leaf
50g Ahtanum pellets
50g Vics Secret pellets
35 gram nelson sauvin leaf
and 5 ml of PHA® Classic - Citrussy hop oil

:thumb:

I put a tied-up muslin bag full of hops in the base of a secondary and rack the beer onto it.
Then sits for a week or two before being racked into a corny keg.

Aleman said:
10" Cartridge filter filled with hops . . . Beer pushed from Keg 1 to Keg 2 through the cartridge filter . . . Dry hops . . . sorted

Interesting, sounds like a variation on the so-called "Hop Torpedo" used by Sierra Nevada, what volume of hops do you include, and do you circulate once or recirc? I'd guess that the residence time is quite low, or do you have it on low flow to get a decent contact time?
Do you re-use the hops afterwards for bittering? Some do on the basis that utilisation at ambient temps is quite low and must leave a lot of oils behind?

Thanks for the other replies too..............any other info on weights added in typical applications?

Latest posts

Back