Dunkelweizen revisited

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pittsy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well i seem to have a grip on the hefeweizen and i'm comfortable with knowing what different changes in grain bill will make for them but i've only brewed 1 dark wheat and that was not to style ( was trying to make to style) it was pleasant enough but had too much dark malt flavour , no caramel notes and no banana or clove present :nah: but nice enough more like a low hopped wheat tasting bitter . It was mainly i used the wrong yeast (wlp351) which wasn't dominant enough . wlp300 is what i'll be using this time and i also added too much caramunich 3 to get the right colour , this time caramunich 2 and a lot less but i'll be getting the colour from a 20/30 min decoction when mashing so that should sort it . I only hope there's not too much sweetness but a hint of caramel is what i'm after .

Dunkel 2

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.50 kg Wheat Malt, Dark (Weyermann) (13.8 EBC) Grain 1 50.0 %
0.90 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 18.0 %
0.90 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 18.0 %
0.25 kg Caravienne Malt (43.3 EBC) Grain 4 5.0 %
0.20 kg Caraamber (Weyermann) (70.9 EBC) Grain 5 4.0 %
0.15 kg Acid Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 3.0 %
0.10 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 7 2.0 %
18.00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 8 7.4 IBUs
8.00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 9 2.8 IBUs
8.00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 1.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35.49 ml] Yeast 11 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.008 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %
Bitterness: 11.7 IBUs Calories: 458.6 kcal/l
Est Color: 18.7 EBC ( incorrect due to decoction mashing est 25/30 EBC )

This is planned for sunday , any comments welcome

Have a good brew day Mark, lot of weighing there, make sure you have spare battery's for the scales.

Thanks Dennis . That's a good point , i sort of borrowed my scales off the mrs and that's been a year and i have never changed em . Trip to the shop i think .

Your IBU is low for that much cara malts. Bump it to 18 IBU. You don't want too sweet beer. You used WLP300 a lot. Tell me, which temperature is the best for banana bomb without thin body and fusil alcohol?

Thanks

Svarrogh said:
Your IBU is low for that much cara malts. Bump it to 18 IBU. You don't want too sweet beer. You used WLP300 a lot. Tell me, which temperature is the best for banana bomb without thin body and fusil alcohol?

Thanks
Thanks for comments , i shall adjust the ibu :thumb:
I have found that 22c is ideal to get both banana and some clove , my fav yeast is wlp380 but i've read better to use wlp300 for dunkels.
I also mash in at 41c for 20 mins which will improve clove and fermenting at 22c give more banana so i get best of both (normal hefe)
As for body i also mash at 64c for 20 mins and then at 71c for 20 odd mins which gives me a medium body beer , i also use decoction which seems to give a more malty taste too .

I also do ferulic rest for 15min. Tell me, how would you compare wlp380 and wlp300. For me, one of the best hefe is of course schneider weisse and also Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier and Hofbräu Münchner Weisse

Hi , 300 is like weihenstephan (1 of my fav) but 380 although has banana it isn't a cloying as 300 plus it gives you lovely aroma of vanilla and some more flavours , so far my best brewed hefes have been with 380 , if weihenstephan could brew some hefe with 380 that would be like nectar to me i would say

Thanks! Sorry to go offtopic. I have one more question :) Did you try to brew hefe with 50% wheat - 50% munich? I want to try 50% wheat, 25% pils, 25% munich (25ebc). And my next hefe will go with nelson sauvin hops :D

there ain't much difference between the brews with munich or pilsner etc except colour and a little harsher when using munich , i find pale ale malt good with a bit of carahell seems as good as any ,

Hi Pittsy,

Sounds fantastic; really want a go at something like this but need to get the basics sorted first.

Keep the updates coming :thumb:

A

Another awesome looking recipe.
I have a dark Belgian kit that I shall be doing at some point (my first kit) to get a taste for the darker euro style. Mostly do Porter and Stouts at the mo so will be cool to taste the difference.

Let us know how this pans out so us others can try it if we get a taste although I may need to set aside an evening for weighing!

Latest posts

Back