Durham Police to give drug addicts heroin in bid to cut crime

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When i read the headline i shook my head (i guess that is the reaction the person who wrote it wanted) but having read the full article it makes sense to me this says it all - "This is just an extension of that rationale. The controversiality is because it's drugs." the use of the term "shooting galleries" is also not helpful.

Heroin addicts are to be given the Class A drug in supervised "shooting galleries" as police bid to tackle drug-related crime.

Durham Police is to become the first force in the country to introduce a scheme in which users are treated with diamorphine - medical grade heroin.

Ron Hogg, County Durham's Police, Crime and Victims' Commissioner, says such treatment lowers offending levels.

Opponents claim trials have not shown significant benefits.

Mr Hogg told BBC Newcastle existing national policies had not been effective and pointed to six-year trials in Darlington, London and Brighton which he said had helped wean users off the drug.

Addicts were given the opiate in consumption rooms, often referred to as "shooting galleries", supervised by medical professionals.

"It got them back into a normal life and it cut crime," he said.

"We saw health benefits for the individuals, we saw needles being taken off the street, so there's an awful lot of evidence both in the UK and across the world that such schemes do actually work.

"All police and crime commissioners spend a lot of money on what we call diversionary work - community projects and youth offending schemes - because we know this will stop people committing crime.

"This is just an extension of that rationale. The controversiality is because it's drugs."

'Not unusual'

Mr Hogg said the UK had the highest rate of heroin, cocaine and ecstasy use across the European Union with drug-induced deaths totalling 45 people per million compared with 17 per million in the EU.

Aiming to introduce the scheme "by the end of this year", he added the force's public health partners were working out the cost of administering the drug to users twice-daily.
"If we go back to the 1960s, doctors used to prescribe heroin as a means of treating someone back to recovery. It's not that unusual," he said.

"We've got to consider the Misuse of Drugs Act has been in since 1971 and we haven't arrested the way out of the problem, have we?"

A Home Office spokesman said there was evidence "supervised use of [diamorphine] in a medical environment as part of a treatment plan can help keep patients in treatment and out of criminal behaviour".

However, David Raynes of the National Drug Prevention Alliance, warned the move "will not stop addicts being addicts".

"It doesn't stop people using street drugs," he said.

"It may reduce crime marginally, but it doesn't reduce crime permanently."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39179504

The conventional approach to dealing with hard drugs clearly does not work. It's time to roll out more schemes like this, decriminalise and tax less harmful drugs and plough the proceeds back into prevention. Deal with the problem and put the gangs behind distribution out of business in one go - granted it won't be nearly as simplistic as I've put it but it's got to be worth a go.

Deal with the problem and put the gangs behind distribution out of business in one go - granted it won't be nearly as simplistic as I've put it but it's got to be worth a go.

I agree the question is why has it taken so long?

Its a great idea. I have a friend who works as a plain clothes police officer and he tells me 90% of his work is directed one way or another to drugs. We should help the addicts and take the money away from the criminals.

Sadly it's a big problem in this area lately, my uncle was burgled only a few weeks ago.

I don't doubt it. Sorry to hear that. My point was Durham Police will probably not stretch that far...

For what it's worth, I think there is some fundamental sense in breaking the link between the crimes committed to obtain drugs.

On Facebook up here in Durham there is a huge outcry from people saying it is a disgusting waste of resources.

They'd rather have more bobbies on the beat, all "druggies" in prison, death sentence returned, lower taxes, potholes filled, blacks out, beautiful British Brexit etc....

They're wrong, IMO.

In simple terms it's like this, any drug abuser not able to self fund (by working) their habit gets around £10 or every £100 of stolen goods. Therefore the cost to society in general is at least 10 times the street cost of the drugs. This information I got from a seminar I attended a few years ago so it may be even more now. Better, I think to try to supervise the use of drugs, cut out the criminal gangs selling the often badly cut poison they sell, and cut down the crime in the process. This won't be a cure all I know, but it sure as will help, save police time and help to cut the funds to some very nasty people.

I've done many years of volunteer work with the homeless which of course includes heroin addicts. There are many reasons for them ending up on the street and using. A few examples are ex army (PTSD and other mental health issues mean they cant always fend for themselves), coming out of children's care at 16 or 18 - if they havent been in the same town for long enough due to being moved around the council dont get funding to house them and they fall out of the system, mental health issues. I even knew one bloke who was a multi millionaire and ended up homeless after his wife divorced him and was awarded a cash settlement that took too much value out of his property and business and caused it to fold from the debt.

it is rare that they start off using heroin on the streets although it does sometimes happen and cause the homelessness, but when they are on the streets freezing cold and the usual description is the cold has "got into your bones" having someone offering to give you heroin and saying it will make you feel warm is the most common reason for starting I have heard. Day after day, night after night having someone or other trying to get you to use it, circumstances (and cold) so bad you cant handle it and they give in eventually.

Giving away heroin means they will buy less so take the trade way from the users and give them cleaner drugs to use reducing deaths. It will also make it less lucrative for the dealers to give it away like this as they wont get the benefit of dealing to them so hopefully they will stop pushing it like that and it will reduce the number of addicts. It also means it can be controlled where the drugs are used and less waste like needles being left which people can get stabbed with (accident or intentional), reduces the spread of disease such as AIDS.

On the negative side, it can attract addicts to areas where it is available so needs to be rolled out on a large scale. It could also encourage people to start using the drug as they know they could get it for free once they are addicted.

Sadly it's a big problem in this area lately, my uncle was burgled only a few weeks ago.
just because a house is burgled it don't mean it drug related
there are other reasons like no work immigrant in this country
and also people got nothing better to do sorry mate

just because a house is burgled it don't mean it drug related
there are other reasons like no work immigrant in this country
and also people got nothing better to do sorry mate

Sorry I meant burglary was a problem, don't know much about the drugs issues round here.

I think you get that where ever you live its the part of every day life in must places

Give druggies ALL the Goods and Money and Dope that had belonged to their supplier if they rat them out and immediately give them whatever **** they need to tide them over, no dealer could refuse an addict for fear of being turned in so the trade becomes unprofitable and dries up.

The nasty little smack heads my OD ......

aamcle

Give druggies ALL the Goods and Money and Dope that had belonged to their supplier if they rat them out and immediately give them whatever **** they need to tide them over, no dealer could refuse an addict for fear of being turned in so the trade becomes unprofitable and dries up.

The nasty little smack heads my OD ......

aamcle

not all addicts are nasty

Latest posts

Back