Dustbin for Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Town Brewer

Reaction score
Anyone use a plastic dustbin for fermentation?

Wilko's do an 80 litre black plastic dustbin with lid for under £9, compared to £25 for a 60l white plastic one available from homebrew shops.

This is what is recommended in Dave Line's "Big Big of Brewing".

Just wondering if anyone has any practical experience of these?

It wont be food safe and may more than likely leach chemicals from the plastic into your beer.

doitbrew said:

Wilko's do an 80 litre black plastic dustbin with lid for under £9, compared to £25 for a 60l white plastic one available from homebrew shops.

This is the same Dave Line that died of cancer in his early 30's :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: Related . . . Probably not

Aleman said:
doitbrew said:

This is the same Dave Line that died of cancer in his early 30's :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: Related . . . Probably not
Late 30's :P
I was actually reading that very book last night, and it mentioned bins but also said many wouldn't be food safe so caution etc. Later edition right enough.
25 quid isn't that much really when the alternative could make you pig sick.
I would worry that an 80 litre bin at 9 quid would be made of thin plastic that wouldn't hold its shape when filled with liquid. Could be quite messy.

Eeewww...! OK, with this in mind, I think I will go with the White bin for few extra quid.

Not worth spoiling a brew for the sake of few pennies.

Think I may order a new book from Amazon. Any thoughts?

Stone cold there are a lot of brewers who use those type of containers in there breweries, they should be fine as a fermenter. 42" is a long way though so you arm won't reach the bottom to clean them.

they same seller does 55l ones for £10 each now there is an alternative to the bin

Back