Dutch courage: Russian Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wez said:
When are you looking to drink this?

I will try and give it at least 6 months after bottling before I crack one open, I hope ;) and I intend to give it a month or to in the secondary to bulk age

I'm thinking of doing this toward the end of Jan and knocking a mild out with the sparge runnings, will keep the bottles somewhere safe where I never go (the mother in laws) until Christmas :grin:

This is a sure New Year's Resolution as I want to brew a range of different beers for the summer and beyond and need the space to brew them out of the way of the family.

I've picked-up a brochure to price-up prefab one and will get a quote for a wooden frame one and a brick one.

Oh yes, and quotes for BIG SKIPS :lol:

Wez said:
I'm thinking of doing this toward the end of Jan and knocking a mild out with the sparge runnings, will keep the bottles somewhere safe where I never go (the mother in laws) until Christmas :grin:

Sounds like a plan :clap: :thumb:

An don't forget that you can still add specialty malt that dose not need mashing to the secod mash/runnings to add some additional complexity. Some crystal or special B would work

Top advice OB :thumb:

Think I may go with some Crystal

I'm really looking forward to doing this one :party:

OB

I'm going to brew this in a couple of weekends time, just a few questions if you don't mind:

The Candi Syrup - where did you get that from?

The hops you used were :

89.87 g. Target Whole 9.50 83.5 60 min.
72.01 g. Bramling Cross Whole 5.00 35.2 60 min.

I have neither of those but i'm hoping as they are for bittering only I could get away with using other high alpha hops Challenger/Northdown? What do you think?

I noted that you used 2x Nottingham and 1x US-05 - whats the reason for that?

Wez said:
OB

I'm going to brew this in a couple of weekends time, just a few questions if you don't mind:

No problem Wez

Wez said:
The Candi Syrup - where did you get that from?

I got the candy syrup for The home brew company, who have started bring it in after I requested it and AT know the two lads well.

Brouwland do also sell it but they wanted to charge me 20 Euro per kg shipping and that way to much. You could just look at replacing it with some Tate & Lyle golden syrup or cane sugar as the amount of black malt will easily provide the colour. I would avoid using treacle or molasses as this will have a massive impact upon the flavor, not that they are bad it will just really subdue the brown and amber malt

Wez said:
The hops you used were :

89.87 g. Target Whole 9.50 83.5 60 min.
72.01 g. Bramling Cross Whole 5.00 35.2 60 min.

I have neither of those but i'm hoping as they are for bittering only I could get away with using other high alpha hops Challenger/Northdown? What do you think?

Don't worry about the hops, as Challenger would be great. They are really there for bitterness. you just want some high alpha acid hops to avoid loosing a load of wort due to the hops.

Wez said:
I noted that you used 2x Nottingham and 1x US-05 - whats the reason for that?

They where just really knocking around, all I want was a good attenuated yeast and lots of it

Wez said:

Enjoy it and lets us know on how you get on :cheers:

Hoping to brew this at the weekend - can I just check is that definetely 800g Black Patent Malt :shock:

Oh, and do I just replace the candi syrup for cane sugar at the same weights?

Sorry about the late reply

Wez said:
Hoping to brew this at the weekend - can I just check is that definetely 800g Black Patent Malt :shock:

Yep ,that was around for aorund 23 liters, so if you are doing 18-19 liters this amount will be less

Wez said:
Oh, and do I just replace the candi syrup for cane sugar at the same weights?

You may want to scale back the cane sugar to 0.8-0.9 kg, as cane sugar give more extract than the syrup.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on how it goes :party:

Thanks OB, i'll be brewing this when I get my brown malt, so hopefully next weekend :thumb:

Kegged this last night, gravity still at 1.020 give around 10.45% or so. I plan to try a hid this away at the back of the shed to gear some age on it

I'm amazed we can still see and use the original recipe, and in his handwriting!!! living history, these recipies are a lesson in the art of patience sounding good.

aeddon said:
I'm amazed we can still see and use the original recipe, and in his handwriting!!! living history, these recipies are a lesson in the art of patience sounding good.

Its worth having a go at some of those old recipes epically from Durden Park Beer Circle and they can be as simple as pale malt or extract with 100g-200g of hops and give appropriate aging

yer i was talking to my mate a few days ago, said he used to brew beer with his dad from a small recipe book, whos author travelled england to collate as many local recipies before the beer tax law came into effect. It really is livin history, riminds me of visting working museums like Blist hill in Shopshire

aeddon said:
It really is livin history, riminds me of visting working museums like Blist hill in Shopshire

And its something to get to enjoy at home :cheers:

Latest posts

Back