Dutch courage: Russian Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oblivious

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all

I brewed this last night, its based of a recipe that Ron Patterson had for Courage RIS (1937) an here is the log Entry, with a change on the amount of amber/brown malts and the use of dark candi syrup instead of no3 sugar. Michael Tonsmeire AKA The Mad Fermentationist had also done a version of his recipe Here. Also its is pretty similar to Kristen England 1850 RIS that appears in this months BYO in the discussion on brown malt

Dutch courage: Russian Imperial Stout, party-gyled

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 26.00
Total Grain (kg): 13.34
Anticipated OG: 1.098
Anticipated SRM: 63.0
Anticipated IBU: 118.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
67.4 8.99 kg. Maris Otter
10.6 1.42 kg. Brown Malt
7.1 0.95 kg. Amber Malt
6.0 0.80 kg. Black Patent Malt
8.9 1.18 kg. Dark candi syrup

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
89.87 g. Target Whole 9.50 83.5 60 min.
72.01 g. Bramling Cross Whole 5.00 35.2 60 min.

Yeast
-----
2 pack of Nottingham
1 pack of US-05

Here are some pic’s

The new copper manifold in my 70 liter mash tun
DSC00656.jpg

Mash in
DSC00650.jpg

Run off, first and only
DSC00651.jpg

Nearly 200g of hops!
DSC00648.jpg

Dark candi syrup
DSC00652.jpg

Spent hops, a whole load!
DSC00654.jpg

So this was a 'no sparge' brew :thumb:

What liquor to grain ration did you use?

Wez said:
So this was a 'no sparge' brew :thumb:

Yep

Wez said:
What liquor to grain ration did you use?

I used around 2.6 liter per kg, but i also added in the volume of water that was predicted to be absorbed by the grain and this gave the volume of wort I was looking for

ah! gotcha :thumb:

I fancy trying a no sparge brew, I tried one of Alemans a while ago and it was superb, hope this turns out well for you :drink: nice set of piccies by the way :thumb: I use the same mash tun.

1 question OB - at what point did you add the grain absorbsion water? In with the mash I presume as it's no sparge?

Wez said:
1 question OB - at what point did you add the grain absorbsion water? In with the mash I presume as it's no sparge?

I did a 90 min mash and added its as a mash out at around 70-80 minutes. this was around 12.5 liters on top of the mash volume! :shock:

How long are you going to store this one and how?

I'd like to do a similar brew and bottle for next winter?

That looks interesting alright :thumb: i'd like to try a no sparge brew sometime but i'm to tight :lol: Hope it's a good 'un OB

I guess you could sparge whats left in the tun and get a lower gravity wort for a mild? What do you think :hmm:

Wez said:
How long are you going to store this one and how?

I'd like to do a similar brew and bottle for next winter?

I plain to bottle this and I hope to age this for as long as passable, might even do another before spring gets going.

A T said:
That looks interesting alright :thumb: i'd like to try a no sparge brew sometime but i'm to tight :lol: Hope it's a good 'un OB

Thanks MEB, just have 30 liters or so of water available to do a second sparge to a session strength beer

Wez said:
I guess you could sparge whats left in the tun and get a lower gravity wort for a mild? What do you think :hmm:

Yep and its what fullers do :thumb:

Great thanks for the info OB - I can see this happening in the new year :thumb:

Wez said:
Great thanks for the info OB - I can see this happening in the new year :thumb:

They are worth having a go at, I am eying up some of the Durden Park barley wine recipes for over the Christmas

I've not brewed a BIG beer yet but want to, will watch this with interest :)

Racked this to secondary to night, the gravity is down to 1.020, thats around 9.2% so far :D

Latest posts

Back