E.T. Barnette Homebrew Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihler

Reaction score
The date of the competition I organize has finally been confirmed so now here is my competition announcement.

Announcing the 17th Annual E.T. Barnette Homebrew Competition!

This is a AHA/BJCP sanctioned competition.

The grand prize for Best of Show is a certified check for $500!!!

Great prizes and custom medals will also be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of each of the seven judged categories.

The seven categories that will be judged are: European Amber Lager (3A-B), English Pale Ale (8A-C), American Ale (10A-C), Porter (12A-C), Stout (13A-F), IPA (14A-C) andFruit/Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer (20 & 21A).

Entries will be accepted: June 24 - July 17, 2013

Entry fees: Submit three 12-16 oz brown or green crown capped bottles and a check or money order for $5.00 in U.S. funds per entry.

Judging: Judging will take place on Saturday, July 20th.

Location: Fox, Alaska (a small mining community about 10 miles/16 km north of Fairbanks)

More information as well as Entry and Bottle ID forms may be found at the following URL: http://www.mosquitobytes.com/Den/Beer/Events/Events.html#ETB.

Should you have any questions or are interesting in judging contact Scott Stihler at [email protected] or (907) 474-2138.

=============

Above is my standard competition announcement.

This is geared more towards the Homebrew Forum members in the U.S. simply because of the relatively high shipping costs. It is still not cheap in the U.S. but....

Don't get me wrong. We would love to receive entries from the UK and elsewhere abroad.

Note that one can cut down the individual shipping costs a bit by packaging your entries with those of some friends.

The relatively high shipping costs is simply because the entries cannot be mailed. Apart from the legality of mailing beer (or the lack thereof) the receive site (i.e. Silver Gulch Brewing and Bottle Company) is not a mail delivery location. Entries mailed there will not be received.

Entries must be shipped via private carrier (e.g. FedEx, DHL, UPS etc.) which to Alaska is inherently expensive.

If you go to the competition webpage you will find the instructions rather lengthy. Sorry about that. This is the competition's 17th year and my wife and my 16th year of organizing it. During that time an amazing number of ways have been found for things to go awry and we tried to address them there. Please read and carefully follow the directions.

We try to at least partially compensate folks for the shipping costs by sending everybody a prize package to accompany their scoresheets. Last year everybody received a bottle of Homebrew Hot Sauce, at least two brewery T-shirts in their size, a subscription to the digital edition of DRAFT Magazine, at least one random prize (e.g. brewing book, hat etc.), a packet of Nottingham dry yeast, a sample of Onestep cleanser, and a package of coasts (beer mats), labels and other brewery propaganda.

Should anybody enter from the UK a similar package will be shipped to you as well though it may not necessarily go out the same time as the major prize package mailing.

I hope to see entries from Homebrew Forum members.

- Scott

It would be pretty awesome if someone does enter from the UK. I have just plugged the stats in and the cheapest courier is FedEx Economy £60.70. :roll:

...the cheapest courier is FedEx Economy £60.70
That's nearly $92.00! Ouch!!

Actually I don't believe that cost is all that more than it is in the U.S.

By the way, this morning I added a "Follow on Twitter" button at the bottom the the ETB information.

- Scott

Latest posts

Back