Easiest way to sterilise 40 odd bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysbrew

Regular.
Reaction score
When I do my lager I am going to bottle it.

Normally use PB but for chilling purposes am going to bottle it.

I normally use Milton Tablets and it would be a pain in the backside to start breaking up a load of Milton tablets and faffing about putting a bit in each then sit them in the sink...

Must be a simpler and quicker way...

Thanks

I just sanitise a bucket and fill up with sanitiser.

Put the bottles in for 20 mins then drain for about the same amount of time.

Good to go and minimal effort.

I use Star San mixed 7.5ml in a 5 litre bottle of Tesco Ashbeck Mineral water and a bottle rinser with a bottling tree. Takes around 10/15 minutes to do 40 bottles as its all no rinse.

A bottle of videne for 6 quid that will last over a year. A fv or bucket with some made up, I do 15l in my big tub. Dunk them and use, no need to rinse.

In a nutshell I need to get a no rinse steriliser.

Too much faffing involved in Milton

Best one to use? that I can just pour down the sink after?

Starsan means storing the solution....

:nono:

Thanks

I use videne at £6 a bottle. I've used half a bottle in a year, throw away after use and make fresh each time.

Andysbrew said:
Starsan means storing the solution....

:nono:

Thanks

Why is storing the Star San solution a nono? It's not going to go off, you can reuse it, you don't need to faff around making up new sanitiser next time. I've recently converted to it (and a bottle tree and sloosher) and it is a Godsend, no more laborious rinsing of diluted bleach solution, a couple of squirts of Star San and onto the bottle tree to drain; jobs a good 'un.

Trucker5685 said:
I use StarSan, a bottle rinser and a bottling tree, makes it effortless :cheers:
I use Videne, a bottle rinser and a bottling tree, makes it effortless :thumb:

I might need to buy more Videne before this year's out, current bottle has only lasted 2 years :(

I use boiling salt water, no chemicals if I can avoid it.

I fill the sink up and put the bottles in there, leave for five minutes, then put the next ones in.

earthwormgaz said:
I use boiling salt water, no chemicals if I can avoid it.

I fill the sink up and put the bottles in there, leave for five minutes, then put the next ones in.

How do you keep the water boiling in your sink?

Just use videne, a bottle squirter and a bottle tree

I clean the bottles in the dishwasher.
Then StarSan rinse before bottling and onto a bottle tree.

I've tried straight from dishwasher, vidine (or however it's spelt), steriliser for 20 mins etc but I find StarSan the easiest, cleanest, and it has proven realisable. Rinsing the caps in the soln for a few seconds.

I fire the bottles in the bath overnight with oxy then rinse them out with cold water
and into the dishwasher on the short program with no tablet and that's them ready
for bottling :cheers:

Thanks everyone.

Joe90 I have a dishwasher and a large rolltop bath, do you not sterilise them after the dishwasher?.

Videne looks the best way for me.

I don't have loads of space to store starsan made up and cannot be bothered with saving it.

:geek:

I rinse bottles after use, they then go straight on the bottling tree to drain.

When I'm ready to bottle, I take one litre of Tesco ashbeck water, add 1.5ml of starsan into a bottle washer.

I only store starsan as a concentrate.

After I'm done, the starsan goes down the sink. It's not worth storing it.

It's quick, easy and it works.

When I'm done with the bottle washing I bung the caps in the starsan solution in the bottle washer! Job done.

Andysbrew said:
Joe90 <snip> do you not sterilise them after the dishwasher?.
Lot's of people say they use the dishwasher to sanitise bottles . . . Personally 70C steam for 30 minutes, is not going to do it . . . it's one of those if they are cleaned properly then you might, probably, get away with it 99% of the time, which is most peoples eyes is 'Good Enough' . . . 10/12 hours of my time means that I want to be certain that my bottles/kegs are better than good enough. Chemical sanitation using the proper chemicals, in the proper way, is a simple, cheap, efficient and easy way of doing the job . . .Just don't let it build up or it becomes a real PITA. Rinse the bottles when you empty them of beer, I clean them in batches of 3-6, drain them, spray with no rinse sanitiser, cap and store . . . when I'm ready to bottle, remove cap empty fill . . crown cap . . . Job Done

Andysbrew said:
I don't have loads of space to store starsan made up and cannot be bothered with saving it.
. . . It's only a 5L Bottle . . . . And no way would I reuse it . . . not at the cost of making it up fresh

. . . . Although videne is excellent as well :thumb:

Latest posts

Back