Effects of spraymalt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a look on google images for that kit and 4 out of 5 of pictures where people brewed the kits looked like yours. One was holding it up to the sun so it looked brighter. Extract does tend to be darker than an all grain of the same beer but I thought they'd put a picture of the kit's final colour on the box, really. It's all marketing though, innit presh'.

The kit extract is probably the reason. I use wheat dme & extra light for my pale tweaks. Take no notice of the marketing photos on these packages they have been retouched to hell & back. Relax enjoy the pint you brewed & learn from everything.

you can also get extra light spraymalt, try that next time?
I use DME in 1.5 kg quantities in partial mashes and find there's actually not a great deal of difference in colour contribution between extra light and light DME and neither contributes very much. However you do notice a colour difference with medium. But the biggest difference for me is taste. I have found medium adds a slight 'roasty' taste to the finished product whereas extra light and light do not. So I have stopped using medium since I can better balance flavours (and colour) to my liking by adding my own grain adjuncts.

I use DME in 1.5 kg quantities in partial mashes and find there's actually not a great deal of difference in colour contribution between extra light and light DME and neither contributes very much. However you do notice a colour difference with medium. But the biggest difference for me is taste. I have found medium adds a slight 'roasty' taste to the finished product whereas extra light and light do not. So I have stopped using medium since I can better balance flavours (and colour) to my liking by adding my own grain adjuncts.

I'd agree that the lighter two dme's are neutral athumb.. which is great, so for hoppy rather than malty beers I use it as my base dme. I do find that the extra light works well if you're after the palest of beers, you can boil it for a bit longer without it darkening as much. for my my dark beers I use medium as my base and a mixture of dark & extra dark.

Back