Elderberry WOW...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyRVTR

Reaction score
Hi all... is it possible to make an Elderberry WOW using dried berries?
The guy at my local homebrew shop has given me a kg bag of dried elderberries after I mentioned it was one of the wines I was hoping to attempt using the WOW method... has anyone ever tried it this way, and what were the results??
Cheers :cheers: :cheers:

What was the damage (cost) for 1Kg of dried elderberries if you don't mind me asking?

To my mind the two simply don't go together.

It is quite possible to ferment out and clear a WOW and have it drinkable within a month, although I do like to let mine have some more time to mature.

Anything involving elderberries, whether fresh or dried, will need at least a year for the tannins to drop out.

Cheers Moley... I would be happy to keep it bottled for a year before drinking it, but in theory would it be possible to make it the same way as I make WOW?
HLA91... it was actually free, the guy I get my stuff from usually charges £2.95 for a kg, but he is just so helpful and now classes me as one of his 'regulars'... :D

Bugger me, I had a search online for them out of curiosity and found them to be around £5-£7 for 500g.

AndyRVTR said:
I would be happy to keep it bottled for a year before drinking it, but in theory would it be possible to make it the same way as I make WOW?
Well yes, I don't see why not, maybe start with a base of red grape juice and either the orange or a cranberry juice drink and throw in perhaps 330g of the dried elderberries, or go for a 3 gallon batch.

I've never used dried elderberries, the fresh ones are free and are starting to ripen now, but as I understand it you use about one quarter of the fresh weight, so 3lbs fresh = 12oz dried.

Start it off in a lidded bucket, stir at least twice a day (sterilise the spoon once and then leave it in the bucket), then strain to DJs after about 5 days.

Thanks Moley... I think I'll use the WOW method and start with one DJ using some RGJ and OJ... with some of the berries thrown it... whats the worst that can happen.... :pray:
As I said i'm in no rush for it (the wife might be) so 1/2doz bottles ready for next year sounds ok to me :cheers:

Latest posts

Back