Elderflower champagne

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donny_1972

Reaction score
Hi iam going to make 4.5 ltrs of elderflower champagne and if it turns out ok i will make some more. As i am using dried elderflower can anyone advise me on how much i should use. Also would strong beer bottles do the job for bottling as i have read that this can be very fizzy.

I'm starting this recipe tomorrow if my stuff gets delivered!
Ingredients:
2 kg sugar
10 lemons
30 elderflower heads or between 25g and 50g of dried elderflowers per 4.5 litres
4 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
1 Packet of Champagne Yeast ( apparently there is enough yeast in the elderflower heads so to leave it 2 days without yeast then if no activity add a pinch)
Approx 16 Litres of bottled water (or tap water dependant on your water).

If you wish to make smaller/larger batches then adjust the ingredients accordingly. This will make a drink of approx 4% ABV. You may wish to add more Elderflowers dependant on taste and strength of your local supply.
Dried Elderflowers can be used instead of fresh at a conversion rate of 25g/4.5 litre.
Open with care, ideally outside as they do have a tendancy to fizz over, especially if not very chilled. If using glass bottles handle with care in case of explosion. Alternatively use PET bottles or recycled champagne bottles as there is less risk of explosion.
Standard wine bottles are not suitable.
that recipe is from brewuk.co.uk which is taken from the river cottage website.

im using 750ml grolsch bottles, if I was using 500ml bottles you would end up losing half of it if you shake the bottle an pop the lid!
all the best with it, if you do a search for elderflower champagne at the top right you will find a good few posts.
remember to post some pics! :drink:

Back