Elderflower Gose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the elderflower season imminently upon us I’m thinking of doing a gose with them. Does anyone have any experience of this or good recipes? In particular quantities to use and at what stage of the process? Or a better fruit to add to a gose? I’m quite keen to try brewing this style.

Thanks

Hi. Only just read this post. Whilst I have not used fresh elderflower in a Gose I have just brewed one and split it into four kegs with some dried flavours in three of them.
One has rose petals, one has orange peel and one has elderflower.
So far the rose petal one is very good (as long as you like Turkish delight) as is the orange one. The elderflower I haven’t tried yet along with the A’s us one.
When I get back to the PC I will put up the base recipe.
I think the flavouring has to be subtle as I tried adding Vimto and that really didn’t work.
I also have a book on Gose that may be if interest which I will also dig out later.

I have an elderflower saison 12 days into ferment using fresh picked and then vac sealed and frozen elderflowers.
Recipe said to use 48 g of fresh flowers in whirlpool / flameout for a 19 litre batch. I used 75g in 25 litres and then put the flowers into the collection ball of the fermentasaurus to contain them during the ferment.
The use of them in the ferment wasn't in the recipe I followed but it was how I used them when making sparkling elderflower " wine " .
I followed the recipe for elderflower saison in Craft beer and Brewing july 2021.

I have an elderflower saison 12 days into ferment using fresh picked and then vac sealed and frozen elderflowers.
Recipe said to use 48 g of fresh flowers in whirlpool / flameout for a 19 litre batch. I used 75g in 25 litres and then put the flowers into the collection ball of the fermentasaurus to contain them during the ferment.
The use of them in the ferment wasn't in the recipe I followed but it was how I used them when making sparkling elderflower " wine " .
I followed the recipe for elderflower saison in Craft beer and Brewing july 2021.
Thanks - seems pretty clear, interested to hear how that level of dosage impacts the taste of the final beer.

elderflower.jpg

This is in the Greg Hughes book

Thanks - would be interested to see that base recipe and how much dried elderflower you put in.
This is the base recipe. Quantity is for a 32 litre final volume. Came out at 5.1%
Pilsner Malt - 3 kg
Wheat Malt - 3 kg
Carapils - 750 g
Rice hulls - 300 g

Mash at 67c for 60 mins
Boil time 15 mins
Boil addition
Huell Melon - 40 g for 15 mins
Pink Himalayan salt - 17 g for 10 mins
Cracked Corriander Seed - 22 g fit 10 mins

Yeast. CML Sour 3.5.

For the latest one I added 59g dried elderflower to a 9litre keg . But I forgot to weigh down the bag so it probably just floating on top of the beer.

This is the base recipe. Quantity is for a 32 litre final volume. Came out at 5.1%
Pilsner Malt - 3 kg
Wheat Malt - 3 kg
Carapils - 750 g
Rice hulls - 300 g

Mash at 67c for 60 mins
Boil time 15 mins
Boil addition
Huell Melon - 40 g for 15 mins
Pink Himalayan salt - 17 g for 10 mins
Cracked Corriander Seed - 22 g fit 10 mins

Yeast. CML Sour 3.5.

For the latest one I added 59g dried elderflower to a 9litre keg . But I forgot to weigh down the bag so it probably just floating on top of the beer.
About to order ingredients for this. Did you only use CML Sour 3.5 or another yeast as well? Thanks.

For the latest one I just used the CML 3.5. FG was 1010 and PH about 3.5. The previous one I added US05 at 1017 and it dropped to 1010 with a PH about 3.7.
Quite a long ferment of 10 days at 22c.
In future I will stick with just the CML 3.5.

First elders are beginning to flower here now, early like last year so going to make sure I don't miss the boat this spring.
One of my daughters also wants to make some Lilac wine and has picked and freezed first pickings, will be a first for me.

So I’m brewing this tomorrow and was thinking of adding some damsons into the mix that we have currently in the garden.

Any tips on when/quantity/how to add them? In the boil or the fermenter? Whole or mushed up?

Latest posts

Back