Electronic thermostat for beer/shelf cooler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev888

Regular.
Reaction score
I've been testing a maxi 310 that I bagged cheaply as spares/repairs - it 'seems' like just the thermostat has broken :party:

I could get a direct replacement but I've a spare TC-10 (like the STC-1000) that I could use instead, it measures down to -40c. Does anyone know what temperature the original (ice-bank) thermostats normally operate at?

That said, I'm going to be using it to cool a few FVs; each will have independent control (using solar project pumps), so the cooler will just sit there supplying the cold water as and when any of them call for it. For this role, can anyone think of any reason to set the new thermostat differently to its original beer-cooling temperature?

Cheers
Kev

Well, it does work, I'm pleased to say.

FV-cooler-003-TC-10-and-thermoprobe.jpg

The probe (sanded down slightly to fit) is in a bit of capped-off 6mm brass tube acting as a thermowell on the left - I placed this the same distance from the maxi's cooling/refrigerator coils as the original thermostat probe had been.

This is part of a bigger plan to cool four FVs; I thought splitting the small 3/8" recirc/python line four ways would be a bit much for it, plus I want to use it to actually cool a python, so I've taken a 22mm bottom drain out from the cold reservoir (which I'll split to four solar project pumps), and have added four 10mm copper dip tubes for the returning coolant:
FV-cooler-001-bottom-drain.jpg

FV-cooler-002-bottom-drain.jpg

I've left the stainless product coil in there as I may use it for wheat beer, which I prefer colder than my other ales. So a multi-functioning shelf cooler then, hopefully.

Cheers
Kev

Thanks! Though it'll be a while before I can test it as an FV cooler, so there could still be some fatal flaw. I have to sort out cooling coils, insulation and controllers for the FVs, so could take a while to get around to; not that the weather seems especially likely to over-heat them at the moment....

Cheers
Kev

I have a similar theme on 2 big fermenters, I will keep watching and add something when i can

Back