English porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonlee471

Reaction score
What's a good example of an English porter? I mean a traditional English porter, which doesn't mean any porter brewed in England because a lot of them brew American style porters.

If you know what you want from a Porter then I suggest that you check out the recipe section at the top of the page and then search "Porter" in the recipe section.

There are thirteen pages of Porter recipes so there should be something in there that sparks your interest. :thumb:

Alternatively, you can register and develop your own recipe. If you select a UK Porter as a style and then mess around with the ingredients it will calculate the effect of each ingredient and let you know when your recipe is ticking all the boxes that make up a UK Porter.

It's an exciting way to brew! I have two brews (a Bitter and a PA) that I have bottled in the last week and I'm looking forward to trying out.:thumb:

Yes Fullers London Porter is classic, the recipe is freely available on the internet if you Google it, and makes a superb Porter.

I agree with joey, Fullers London porter is a fantastic example of an English porter. Perhaps I got lucky but the last time I made it it tasted exactly like you get in the bottle. American Porters are often the same as English ones in the grain dept but just highly hop it with American hops. Brown Porter and Robust Porter are the "Classic" styles your looking for

I don't think I've actually tasted a brown porter and believe it or not I've never had fullers porter! I've not actually seen it anywhere yet.

Everyone keeps mentioning the recipe thing on here but I can't seem to find it, sounds interesting

Also depends are you looking for a historic recipe and if so from what period. I think from its invention until the invention of the hydrometer in 1770 it was made with 100% brown malt. The hydrometer made breweries realise they could use less of the more expensive pale malt to get the same gravity and add roasted barley for colour so the recipe was now usually a mix of pale brown and roast barley. In early 19h century only malted barley and hops were allowed in bear so patent malt was invented to replace malted barley. The gravity dropped alot in world war 1 due to tax on malt and the stronger stout porters had had the porter dropped from the name already so stout replaced porter and few breweries still made a porter. In the early 50s noone made porter anymore until the late 70s and since then what a porter is had no rules so now anyone can call almost any dark beer a porter.
At least I think this is all correct.

Check out this site ...

http://byo.com/aging/item/2318-fuller’s-the-pride-of-london

... where the recipe for Fuller's London Porter is:

ALL GRAIN
(5 gallons/ 19 L)
OG = 1.054 FG = 1.014
IBU = 30 SRM = 46 ABV = 5.4%

Ingredients
8.27 lbs. (3.75 kg) Muntons pale ale malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt (75 °L)
1.5 lbs. (0.68 kg) brown malt
0.75 lb. (0.34 kg) chocolate malt
6.25 AAU Fuggle hops (60 min)
(1.3 oz./37 g of 4.7% alpha acids)
3.15 AAU Fuggle hops (15 min)
(0.67 oz./19 g of 4.7% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or White
Labs WLP002 (English Ale) yeast

Step by Step
Mash at 153 °F (67 °C) for 60 minutes at mash thickness of 1.3 qt./lb. Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at times indicated. Cool wort, transfer to fermenter and pitch yeast. Ferment at 62 °F (17 °C).

PARTIAL MASH
(5 gallons/ 19 L, partial mash)
OG = 1.054 FG = 1.014
IBU = 30 SRM = 46
ABV = 5.4%

Ingredients
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) Muntons pale ale malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt (75 °L)
1.5 lbs. (0.68 kg) brown malt
0.75 lb. (0.34 kg) chocolate malt
1.0 lb (0.45 kg) Muntons Light dried malt extract
4.0 lbs. (1.8 kg) Muntons Light liquid malt extract
6.25 AAU Fuggle hops (60 min)
(1.3 oz./37 g of 4.7% alpha acids)
3.15 AAU Fuggle hops (15 min)
(0.67 oz./19 g of 4.7% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or White
Labs WLP002 (English Ale) yeast

Step by Step
Partial mash grains at 153 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes. Collect wort and add water to make 3.0 gallons (11 L). Stir in dried malt extract and bring to a boil. Boil 60 minutes, adding hops at times indicated. With 15 minutes left in boil, remove from heat and add liquid malt extract. Stir well to dissolve, then resume heating. At the end of the boil, cool wort and transfer to fermenter, adding enough water to make 5.0 gallons (19 L). Ferment at 62 °F (17 °C).

Enjoy! :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back