English pub ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artiums_enteri

Regular.
Reaction score
My wife just learned I'm poking around the British forums, and asked me to ask the experts for English pub ale or ESB recipes. She loves the styles, but about the only commercial example we have over here is Bottingtons.

This will need to be all grain single infusion mash and a total post boil volume of 6 gallons as we leave 1 gallon of trub in the kettle. Thanks guys.

artiums_enteri, I suggest getting a copy of Graham Wheeler's latest book. Although the recipes may be the more mediocre of the beers we drink over here, they're available nationally and are a pretty good cross section of standard pub ales.

The irony is that most breweries are trying to copy the US stuff now.

If you can't get a copy easily, I'll post one to you.

Ok I'll check amazon and let you know.

I've noticed that too. 8 out 10 of the most sought after craft beer right now are huge west coast IIPAs and highly hopped pale ales. While this is my preferred style, my wife is from Ireland, and really prefers more malty mild beers.

Jamil has some good recipes in "brewing classic styles," but I figured people normally brew beer that is found around them.

artiums_enteri said:
My wife just learned I'm poking around the British forums, and asked me to ask the experts for English pub ale or ESB recipes. She loves the styles, but about the only commercial example we have over here is Bottingtons.
I really think that the finest example of a 'British' Session Beer is Adnams Southwold Bitter. They have messed around with the recipe over the last few years to accommodate the hops that were available. I believe they are now back to the old Fuggles and Goldings recipe,

The one I brewed here is my take on Adnams Southwold which is an amalgamation of three or four different recipes . . . so not a direct clone.

Agree with Tony (aleman) Adnams Southwold is a real good session beer. I have brewed Graham Wheelers Adnams Broadside but left the sugar out to lower the abv. Turned out to be one of my best brews. There is an AG recipe for Boddingtons in there as well.

Id say a quintessenetial british bitter is Chiswick bitter from fullers or for a more fuller flavoured malty bitter Id go for Directors. Sadly they seem to have changed the recipe for Directors and its not what it was, but the recipe in the book is good.

Aleman, do you know what the Fuggles & Goldings hop schedule was for Southwold?
I was planning on brewing this weekend & might give this a shot, just so happens that fuggles & goldings are the only hops I've got. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back