Euro 2020, who's watching?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But that would be racist, according to Guardian types (see voter ID).

Instead of pulling a straw-man stereotype of a group of people, who only exist in your head, and ascribing to these people opinions on a (completely different) topic, why don't you tell us what you actually think?

The point about voter ID is that in the US, it has become voter suppression. Did you read about the guy in Texas who queued for hours to vote, and then got thrown in prison? That they are passing laws to make it illegal to provide cold drinks to voters queuing in the hot sun? (Why they need to queue anyway, God knows. I've never queued to vote in my life). Well we don't want those sort pf tactics here.

I think it was in this thread where I said Facebook alone has 54,000 posts a second if they don't make accounts traceable and the reporting system much better nothing is going to change.

Instead of pulling a straw-man stereotype of a group of people, who only exist in your head, and ascribing to these people opinions on a (completely different) topic, why don't you tell us what you actually think?

The point about voter ID is that in the US, it has become voter suppression. Did you read about the guy in Texas who queued for hours to vote, and then got thrown in prison? That they are passing laws to make it illegal to provide cold drinks to voters queuing in the hot sun? (Why they need to queue anyway, God knows. I've never queued to vote in my life). Well we don't want those sort pf tactics here.
.......and relax.

Now, if you would calm down for a moment, I will explain.

There is a bill currently proposed / going through parliament in the UK that will require voter ID. Several groups have stated that they believe that it would disproportionately affect BAME communities as they are statistically less likely to have the required ID. There have also been suggestions that because of this, they would take the government to court under the equality act as it could be viewed as indirect discrimination.

Given that, I can't see requirement to access aspects of the internet any less likely to be subject to the same challenges.

It is therefore ironic that the calls for abandoning voter ID are by and large coming from similar people who are calling for an end to anonymous social media use via compulsory ID, especially as the intent is to help combat racist posts.

You accuse me of setting up a straw man. I suggest that I haven't, but your entire second paragraph is a textbook example of one. But, hey ho.

OK, let's do some de-coupling here. If the topic under discussion is "an end to anonymous social media use via compulsory ID ", lets look at that, and leave Voter ID (which you, not me, brought up, in order to demonstrate something about 'Guardian readers', presumably). I can't speak for 'Guardian readers' (or Telegraph readers, for that matter). But i can give my own opinion, if you like.

My own view is that I'm more concerned about racist posts in the social media from politicians than from the public. And that there would be enormous technical difficulties in practice, I imagine, in making such proposed restrictions work. So on that point, we are in agreement, I think. 😃 It's easy to say, Something Must be Done. But the practicalities can be far more problematic. Suppose the government said it was going to ban PAYG 'burner' phones, cos they are so often used by criminals. Would that be right? I think not. I would suggest that government restriction on the use of social media would fall into the same category.

If the government want the public to behave better on social media, they could start by setting a better example themselves! Eh, Priti?

The reason I introduced voter ID (in the UK) is because any introduction of 'internet' ID would surely hit the same obstacles (which is super ironic given what it's proposal is to tackle racism)

My opinion on internet ID is one of looking at a) what are we trying to eradicate? b) how much if it is happening, and are the proposed restrictions proportional? c) What other freedoms would it curtai?

I do not believe the national debate has come close to achieving a) so can't possibly be in a position to answer b) and c).

Yes, in fact as I said, I agree with you. And I'd add,

d) Are the proposed restrictions technically feasible? Can they be easily got round?

It's easy for the public to get worked up into a "something must be done"! position. And politicians will naturally try to take advantage of that. That is when we risk bad legislation.

I don't want to start a new thread but how do people get tickets for games. I am a Liverpool fan, normally I book tickets of a friend who has a few fan cards. It has taken him years to build these up.
With covid and track and trace it's going to be very difficult for this to happen. Obviously season tickets and fan cards are linked to an individual. It's common practice for people with a season ticket to sell the seat to game's that they can't attend. I assume now you will have to produce ID at a game.
Has anyone been to a premier League game during covid or the Euros. What's the procedure

Pretty sure they didn't check everyone's ID at the Euro Final!

I dunno about the football, but I am going to the rugby for the first time since what seems like forever on Friday; I'l see what the drill is there. But I can't believe there'll be personalised ID. I have an e-ticket. I print it off and put it in the card reader machine at the turnstiles. System normally works fine.

Back