EXCELLENT Gas Supplier in Scotland (Will Ship)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziggy-San

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here, but I wanted to alert you to Install Oil in Edinburgh. They are a small, homebrew-friendly gas supplier looking to expand their operations. They can supply pure O2 for yeast growth and Pure CO2 (as well as pub gas) in larger cylinders (6.5kg+) but they need to see decent sales of CO2 before they can stock it regularly.

- Cylinder Deposit AND NO RENTAL FEES! (50 pounds refundable upon cylinder exchange)

I am not affiliated with this company, but I have had extremely positive experiences in dealing with them and want to help out their business.

Intall Oil Tel # 0131 660 4010
Wellington Farm Workshop
Old Craighall Road, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH22 1SA
Open Weekdays 8am-5pm; Sat 10am-5pm

FIFTY QUID! :shock:

I can't see them getting much trade off here.

I haven't got time to decide if this is relevant spam, it's time for me to pull the plugs and go home.

Yep £50 is a bit steep. What does "refundable upon cylinder exchange" actually mean? Will they refund the WHOLE £50 when you get a refill?
If so I maybe interested but it is a bit dear for me just now. (4.5 years unemployed and "living" on a bread level income)

Right then Mr. Zeigler, what's this all about?

Fifty quid does sound a bit steep, even if it is a stonking great big bottle, does that include your first fill or is the gas extra?

By way of example, I believe my own supplier charge £20 deposit on any size of cylinder, plus gas, plus VAT on the gas.

actually £50 aint too bad .. ie normal . Ive been looking for pub gas for the home user in london as i want a 30/70 (or so) split and only found 2. now as soon as you mention the home user the prices jumps !!! .. the 2 ive found are a) adams gas (kent) who want £70 deposit + £30 refill charges + £5 delivery charges and b)london gas (boc) who want £44 deposit+ £25 refill charges with free delivery.

Came looking for this thread after a customer told us they would post here letting people know about our business. I have registered to clarify a few things. I know very little about home brewing, I didn't even know you used O2 / CO2. I have been in business for awhile now selling propane, butane, red diesel and kerosene. We were getting a lot of enquiries about welding gas, because people were getting ripped off, so we started selling welding gases last month.

lancsSteve said:
Do they supply helium?

I want me one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIJINiK9 ... r_embedded
Yes, we do have helium, comes in a kit for balloons but no reason why you couldn't fill a shark with it. For some reason that video reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF5NS18RvBE

hairybiker said:
Yep £50 is a bit steep. What does "refundable upon cylinder exchange" actually mean? Will they refund the WHOLE £50 when you get a refill?
If so I maybe interested but it is a bit dear for me just now. (4.5 years unemployed and "living" on a bread level income)
It is a one off fee of £50 as a bottle deposit as opposed to a monthly rental fee which is the norm for these gas cylinders. If you decide you don't want the bottle anymore you can return it and get your £50 deposit back. The reason for this is the bottles are expensive to make / buy and they are aimed at the hobby user who usually has a low turnover of gas. The bottle deposit ensures that we either get the bottle back to reuse (rather than it being taken to a dump or a scrappy) or if the bottle isn't returned it can be used to buy a replacement one.

Moley said:
Right then Mr. Zeigler, what's this all about?

Fifty quid does sound a bit steep, even if it is a stonking great big bottle, does that include your first fill or is the gas extra?

By way of example, I believe my own supplier charge £20 deposit on any size of cylinder, plus gas, plus VAT on the gas.
Gas is extra. The deposit is a one off fee, when you need more gas you just hand over the empty and we drop off a full bottle and you only pay for the gas.

jinxy72 said:
actually £50 aint too bad .. ie normal . Ive been looking for pub gas for the home user in london as i want a 30/70 (or so) split and only found 2. now as soon as you mention the home user the prices jumps !!! .. the 2 ive found are a) adams gas (kent) who want £70 deposit + £30 refill charges + £5 delivery charges and b)london gas (boc) who want £44 deposit+ £25 refill charges with free delivery.
The situation in Scotland is a lot worse, as far as I can tell we're the only ones in the area offering rent free bottles. Most of our customers were paying £140 a year rental for bottles +£50 delivery charge (or £15 if you pick it up yourself) + gas charge.

artyb said:
smells like spam... :whistle:
I assure you that neither the original post nor my post is spam.

A local supplier? Oooo :D
Beats the air products price I'm paying on my welding gas. Smallest bottle they had when I asked is near 6 foot high..... (and 18 quid a month! :shock: )
No more excuses for not having some corny kegs now if you do 9l co2 cylinders.

Also, can you refill members' own cylinders, or do you only work on an exchange basis?

I ask because some members buy 2kg bottles like this from our favourite keg dealer, and then find problems when they are empty.

Install Oil said:
It is a one off fee of £50 as a bottle deposit as opposed to a monthly rental fee which is the norm for these gas cylinders. If you decide you don't want the bottle anymore you can return it and get your £50 deposit back. The reason for this is the bottles are expensive to make / buy and they are aimed at the hobby user who usually has a low turnover of gas. The bottle deposit ensures that we either get the bottle back to reuse (rather than it being taken to a dump or a scrappy) or if the bottle isn't returned it can be used to buy a replacement one.

Ok so how much is is for the FIRST cylinder then (say a small 4' one don't know the capacity) if the bottle deposit is £50+gas.

Moley said:
Also, can you refill members' own cylinders, or do you only work on an exchange basis?

I ask because some members buy 2kg bottles like this from our favourite keg dealer, and then find problems when they are empty.

I am wondering about this as well. If the answer is no, I don't mind throwing out the deposit since I'll get it back so long as I take care of the cylinder. It sure as hell beats rental fees since those aren't re-couped at any point!

Just working on getting my cornies now :)

Shug said:
A local supplier? Oooo :D
Beats the air products price I'm paying on my welding gas. Smallest bottle they had when I asked is near 6 foot high..... (and 18 quid a month! :shock: )
No more excuses for not having some corny kegs now if you do 9l co2 cylinders.
6.35kg cylinders (9L I think, need to confirm that though)

Moley said:

We can't fill the industrial gases I'm afraid, only propane.

Dunfie said:
You might want to advertise on the Scottish Craft Brewers forum. I regularly get asked where people can get gas.
Thank you, I will have a look there this weekend.

hairybiker said:
Install Oil said:

Ok so how much is is for the FIRST cylinder then (say a small 4' one don't know the capacity) if the bottle deposit is £50+gas.

First cylinder is £75 including VAT. That is £50 deposit, £25 for gas, free delivery around midlothian.

Moley said:

I ask because some members buy 2kg bottles like this from our favourite keg dealer, and then find problems when they are empty.We can't fill the industrial gases I'm afraid, only propane.

members own are only co2 .... can you fill those ?

Install Oil said:
We can't fill the industrial gases I'm afraid, only propane.

He says they can't fill industrial gases ie co2, probably because they have them filled elswere so that is why they only exchange bottles. were as propane they store and fill themselves.

Sorry to res an old thread, but has anyone used this supplier?

I'm not sure how long that much CO2 would last, but £25 doesn't seem all that dear, and I really like the idea of a deposit rather than a rental fee (even if it is £50) because I can get my deposit back later :party:

Back