Experimenting with all grain brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llanbrewer

Reaction score
Just started drinking my first home brew for over 30 years. Mrs. LB tried some and reluctantly conceded that it tasted like beer. :mrgreen: The brew is a Kentish Ale kit from Love Brewing and it did everything that it said on the tin.

However..............and with blokes and hobbies there is always a "however" despite having two more kits on the go, and two more in the cupboard :thumb: I am tempted by having a go at all grain brewing, not least because it's like cooking - you can do it the way you want it.

Is it feasible to do some low level experimentation without buying masses of kit? If I ask nicely, I can probably borrow Mrs. LB's marmalade pan and try an experimental batch of about a gallon of wort. All I need (correct me if I'm wrong) is some crushed Maris Otter, yeast, part of a hop packet and a demi john as an FV. Does this make sense? I'm just after a bit of experimentation without too much "And how much did all that cost?" in the background

Hi LB

The place to start is here

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51779&page=110

Basically, you also need a sieve, nylon bag or some other way to separate out your wort and a fairly long spoon. I don't know the volume of a Marmalade pot, but feel that it could be easily big enough for a one gallon brew.

Good Luck with it, and don't be afraid to ask for advice here. We were all beginners once and there is always more to learn.:thumb:

I started with an old coffee grinder (must be real antique, like peppermill inside, and adjustable), a small mechanic food thermometer I had lying around, and a wire colander or large sieve of 1.5 EUR. All the rest I had lying around in the kitchen, including a 10 liter (or 2.5 gallon) cooking pot, and another 4 liter cooking pot. No hydrometer.

you can brew a small batch of ag beer very easily on the stove top see the link above..

imho its Very worthwhile, no need to splurge on lots of specialty malts and adjuncts, you can brew a very good beer using simply malted barley and a single hop, aka a Single Malt And Single Hop, or SMASH brew.

Go for it and enjoy....

Latest posts

Back