experimenting with seriously reduced 2 can kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,

I've never glne off knstructions on a brew before, and my mate got me 5 x 2 can wilko best bitter kits (reduced to £2 each... bb date is sept 2016?!?!?!) I have bottled one and have brewed one short to 20l which is fermenting now.

A girl at work had a sealed and unopened can of lyles golden syrup in the cupboard and she said i could have it for a home brew kit. I also went to wilko and got a kilo of muntons brew enhancer.

I have 3 kits left. I plan to do 2 with 500g enhancer and 1 of those add in the golden syrup too.

First question... do you think ,e ither of these brews will turn out nice? If not why not? Should i add anything else?

2nd question:

Any ideas what to do with the last kit? Im not a fan of overly hoppy beer, and quite like bitter but malty ales...

Many thanks in advance for your help guys...

I would get some light malt and go large with it.I am gonna do this over the weekend with a John bull, bag of malt and muscavado, with extra hops ( that's for me, I realise that bit might not suit)

I would get some light malt and go large with it.I am gonna do this over the weekend with a John bull, bag of malt and muscavado, with extra hops ( that's for me, I realise that bit might not suit)

You reckon a kilo of light malt? I thought that was for lager kits? Would medium be better? Or shall i stick with light?

I would use 750g of malt and 500g sugar, but hey I'm no expert. I'm gonna do that this weekend for the first time, gonna wait a week then dry hop it. Sure whats the worst that can happen, it's all beer haha good luck and maybe someone with more experience can steer both of us better

I was lucky I picked up some cheap muscavado sugar from the local co op, it's always on offer! I think you should use a light malt, sorry for the confusion. I will keep you posted as to how mine goes, I'm a bit excited/ nervous about changing method etc but hey it will be worth it

I was lucky I picked up some cheap muscavado sugar from the local co op, it's always on offer! I think you should use a light malt, sorry for the confusion. I will keep you posted as to how mine goes, I'm a bit excited/ nervous about changing method etc but hey it will be worth it

I went to LHBS and he recommended medium so i got 2 x 500g bags. So i have a kilo of MDME and a kilo of brew enhancer and a tin of golden syrup... i will have a few experiments on the go very soon and keep you updated

So i've got a couple of experimental brews underway today. Details are as follows:

Experiment 1:

1 x wilko best bitter 2 can kit.
500g Muntons Brew Enhancer
500g Youngs Medium Spray Malt
Brewed to 22L
SG: 1.056

Experiment 2:

1 x Wilko Best Bitter
454g Lyles Golden syrup
500g Muntons Brew enhancer
Brewed to 23L
SG: 1.048

I shall update in 10-14 days time...

So i've got a couple of experimental brews underway today. Details are as follows:

Experiment 1:

1 x wilko best bitter 2 can kit.
500g Muntons Brew Enhancer
500g Youngs Medium Spray Malt
Brewed to 22L
SG: 1.056

Experiment 2:

1 x Wilko Best Bitter
454g Lyles Golden syrup
500g Muntons Brew enhancer
Brewed to 23L
SG: 1.048

I shall update in 10-14 days time...
Oh, and i have ordered some fuggles hop tea to use in both will add on day 2 when they arrive...

Back