Explosive Primary?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atco_91

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brewing a GEB Belfast Brown Ale recipe. Fermentation got off to a good start and was very active.
I got home today after work to find the airlock full of what looked like krausen (or remnants off). I removed the airlock wiped it and the top of the FV down, sanitised and replaced. Was this the right thing to do here or should I have left it? (I know, I should have asked first!)
The airlock began bubbling almost instantly after I replaced it and all seems normal now.

I've had beers where the lid blew right off the FV and sat on the floor across the room until I found it the next day. The beer was completely exposed to open air for 8+ hours. Every one of them turned out just fine.

Hi all,

I'm brewing a GEB Belfast Brown Ale recipe. Fermentation got off to a good start and was very active.
I got home today after work to find the airlock full of what looked like krausen (or remnants off). I removed the airlock wiped it and the top of the FV down, sanitised and replaced. Was this the right thing to do here or should I have left it? (I know, I should have asked first!)
The airlock began bubbling almost instantly after I replaced it and all seems normal now.
The one I am fermenting at the moment I had to do this several times it's been going around 3 weeks now but the readings are nearly stopped so I will bottle it soon. First time with a liquid yeast and a starter so I'm not used to how it's behaved I'm used to 10-14 days and finished.

I've just finished a Mangrove Jack Single Hop IPA and I had to clean and refill the airlock about 10 times, perfectly normal and your brew will be fine. Cheers 🍻

Hi all,

you may have encountered the Lid Police or the “is my brew infected” team on Facebook I’m guessing? As long as the fermentation is active and there is a good layer of yeast on the surface all will be fine. Oxidation and infection during primary, if your gear was clean to start with, is not something to worry about. Most Traditional brewers always used open fermenters.

Hi all,

Give the lid and airlock the Tijuana and use cling wrap, a lot easier and stress free.

you may have encountered the Lid Police or the “is my brew infected” team on Facebook I’m guessing? As long as the fermentation is active and there is a good layer of yeast on the surface all will be fine. Oxidation and infection during primary, if your gear was clean to start with, is not something to worry about. Most Traditional brewers always used open fermenters.

Not quite, I have been off facebook for sometime 😁.

I am quite disciplined with my sanitising etc so tend not sweat about infection. I just haven't ever had to removed the airlock (except for dry hopping) and clean it all out. So I just panicked a bit afterwards. But I am confident all is back as it should be now. Looking forward to trying it.

Not quite, I have been off facebook for sometime 😁.

I am quite disciplined with my sanitising etc so tend not sweat about infection. I just haven't ever had to removed the airlock (except for dry hopping) and clean it all out. So I just panicked a bit afterwards. But I am confident all is back as it should be now. Looking forward to trying it.
I’ve done 8 brews so far. 2 of them were Wheat beers and both wheat beers had very active fermentation and both had the krausen come up through the airlock. Buy a 2 piece airlock, they are easy to clean and put back into service or look up how to make a blow off tube. Some beers are more active for the first few days than others. Well done. It’s a bit of a worry when it happens the first time.

Latest posts

Back