Extremely fast fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spit

Keepersbrew
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all I have just ventured into the world of all grain brewing and got my first brew going on Saturday its a landlord clone from the Malt Miller. All went to plan just a litre short of target sg1050 a little higher than expected 1045 I put that down to smaller batch size. I pitched yeast at 18° and put in fridge at 20° yesterday temperature went up to 22° as I have no cooler I left door slightly open to drop temperature a bit I put the rise in temperature down to the yeast working hard. This morning fermentation seems to have stopped with a gravity of 1008. Will probably be looking at bottling at the weekend. Sorry that was a bit long winded but is that normal.
Thanks.

Quick, but it sounds like you reached FG. Personally, I'd hold-off on bottling this weekend and maybe do it the next to ensure the yeast have time to clean things-up a bit. In any event, I'd also double-check the gravity again before bottling to ensure it hasn't moved just to be on the safe side.

Which yeast did you use out of curiosity, I certainly find some of the ale yeasts can be pretty quick to ferment out a batch and three days from start to finish is not unusual for me. That said I do tend to leave my beers a bit longer as I still seem to get better results going for two weeks in primary (although have bottled sooner and still had a decent beer) but the extra time will give everything time to settle out, and make sure the yeast is 100% done (you may still see a drop of a point or two).

Last edited:
I needed a low ABV beer to fill a pressure barrel for easy supping as we head into spring. Pulled a recipe out of Wheeler's BYOBRA at 3.7%, brewed last Thursday and it seemed fully fermented out yesterday morning when I checked. 3 days, give or take, since I pitched the yeast.

The recipe had some easily fermentable ingredients (no crystal) and yeast was about 150g of slurry saved in the fridge for only 2 weeks, so it makes sense that the fermentation took off quickly.

If your mash temperature was at the lower end of the range, below 65 I wouldn't be surprised with the results you got. As Obscure says, the rest depends on the yeast.

The NBS Ale Yeast is repackaged Fermentis S04 (or at least I believe it is as the stats for both are identical). A 3 day finish for that yeast isn't unusual, especially if it was done on the warmer side. If you'd used Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire (which is the yeast that comes with the MM premium Landlord kit) I would have said 3 days sounds too quick as it is a slow finisher and the krausen usually takes over a week to drop completely.

Back