Fermentation confusion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_one

Reaction score
i been reading the Palmer book about fermentation because i need to get a vessel next. I have been looking at the st/steel conical things with envious eyes and wondering what they are about?

my confusion is when primary fermentation has subsided, you can rack off for secondary fermentation under airlock which means you remove it from most of the gunny stuff left in the bottom and the sides of the FV.

So hows does the conical FV work cos i thought you did 1st & 2nd fermentation in them?

They appear to have a detatchable vessel at the bottom of the cone into which all the yeast has settled. So you do the primary, then close the tap and remove the vessel of yeast. So in terms of winemaking, you've racked it off. Looks a good system but not exactly cheap.

urm, so you effectively ferment under the same conditions with primary and secondary, i.e. under airlock?

i seen some plastic ones but the jury is out on those at moment as nobody to my knowledge stocks them in Blighty yet?

Thinking about it, would keeping the first and secondary fermentation in same container be better than racking off and then risking more infection chances?

this brewing game can get complicated, don't you think, and just starting out and loads to learn :-o

Latest posts

Back