Fermentation freezer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can a freezer be used has a fermentation fridge? A colleague said hers is on the way out (red light to say it was getting warm).

Could it be converted?

Yes, you can, but if this ones on its way out, I wouldn't bother with it. You can pick up fridges and chest freezers for next to nothing. Chest freezers are mainly used for keeping kegs at serving temps.

Can a freezer be used has a fermentation fridge? A colleague said hers is on the way out (red light to say it was getting warm).

Could it be converted?

Agree with previous comments about avoiding one that is already failing!

Also, it is going to depend on the design of the Freezer. A lot of upright freezers have cooling elements that run through fixed shelves, often the top one or two shelves are designed this way to allow for fast freezing of certain foods. You can't remove those shelves so that would limit the space available in that kind of freezer. You are also going to be operating the freezer quite differently to its designed parameters which may stress the compressor in new and interesting ways. Given the frequency with which fridges appear on ebay, not sure it is worth the risks tbh.

LB

I've been told that a freezer is potentially better than a fridge because it's more insulated. If true that's food for thought.

If I were brewing lagers, I'd probably use a chest freezer, to get the temp right down for effective lagering.

Won't a fridge get down to 3c?

Yes, but some might struggle to maintain it. If you are thinking of brewing more than the occasional lager, I'd consider your options. As far as I know, getting close to just above 0 is ideal for lagering.

Edit: just looked at what you're 'drinking'. You just need a fridge, don't ya?

Yes, but some might struggle to maintain it. If you are thinking of brewing more than the occasional lager, I'd consider your options. As far as I know, getting close to just above 0 is ideal for lagering.

Edit: just looked at what you're 'drinking'. You just need a fridge, don't ya?

Yeah don't really drink lager. Just bought ingredients for a Pilsner which I can think I can brew successfully this time of year due to the weather

Lucky enough to have both - a larder fridge and a tall freezer, both converted as chambers. They work equally well from what I've seen.

I use an old fridge/freezer frost free and use both compartments in the winter. As yet I have not brewed in the summer I stop and restart in September. I use kits tend to do beer in fridge and wine in the freezer mainly as the freezer has a step where the motor is so have to leave in the bottom two draws. So the weight of the fermenting vessel is on the draw, it may take weight but as yet not tested. Fridge has flat bottom.

Using a freezer it has to be frost free type. With frost free the active parts are behind a panel and a fan circulates air when cooling and stops when on defrost cycle so can remove draws to get extra height. But non frost free have active parts spread around the box so not room to fit a fermentor.

Two main reasons for freezer to fail are motor problems including loosing gas, and insulation problem, with the latter you get a build up of ice which conducts the heat back into the freezer. However for beer brewing we mainly use heat, so the ice melts so insulation starts to work again.

My controller is plug in so for me it only means taking to skip site if fridge/freezer fails completely. And I rarely use cooling it's just an insulated box. Next summer I want to try using cooling, but restarted this year in September, we had a warm spell, but although garage was showing 24ºC the fridge was still at 20ºC. Clearly it takes time for the brew to warm up and by time it was starting to warm night had arrived and it was getting cool again. My thoughts are if the fridge/freezer motor only fires up once in a blue moon then even if faulty not really a problem. In my case two faults, one insulation damaged and two when door is opened the motor and fridge light start to flash.

I use a fridge/freezer and to date I have never used the cooling part. I have two controllers one a S\tC-1000 the other a MH1210A which are nearly the same and I just heat and use the insulated box.

I have considered cooling in the summer but as yet not needed to. I restarted in September and we had a hot spell, however even though the garage was at 24ºC the temperature inside the fridge remained at 20ºC. The main point is not to allow it to over shoot, if you use a small heater than it is rare to need to cool.

Ups had missed that already answered.

Back