Chest Freezer Fermentation vessel problems/questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The inkbird also has a compressor delay setting, to stop flipflopping.
Garbage. You've only said it to wind me up! Well, I'm wound up ...

The "delay" only operates when you switch the Inkbird on. When the time elapses, if the Inkbird detects it should be turned on, it turns on. From then on you are allowed to do what you like. Until you switch it off and back on again. The Inkbird does what it likes anyway. You think it works as you say because that is how it works for other devices. You can't imagine Inkbird might are doing it wrong!

Depressing isn't it.

Contact Inkbird and tell them you've set "the Inkbird is set for 0.3°C either side of target" and they will tell you that you expect too much, try 2°C instead (that's what they told me).

See? I've written a post about Inkbird temperature controllers without mentioning the inherent defect in the controller ... oh, I have now.

Garbage. You've only said it to wind me up! Well, I'm wound up ...

The "delay" only operates when you switch the Inkbird on. When the time elapses, if the Inkbird detects it should be turned on, it turns on. From then on you are allowed to do what you like. Until you switch it off and back on again. The Inkbird does what it likes anyway. You think it works as you say because that is how it works for other devices. You can't imagine Inkbird might are doing it wrong!

Depressing isn't it.

Contact Inkbird and tell them you've set "the Inkbird is set for 0.3°C either side of target" and they will tell you that you expect too much, try 2°C instead (that's what they told me).

See? I've written a post about Inkbird temperature controllers without mentioning the inherent defect in the controller ... oh, I have now.

Attachments

• IMG_20240403_002424.jpg
    IMG_20240403_002424.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240403_002402.jpg
    IMG_20240403_002402.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
I think @peebee is saying the instructions say it has a delay between last off and requested on for refrigeration but in reality once the initial delay has expired it turns on instantly. I don't have one to test.

The STC-1000 I was using to dry out a roll of 3D printing PLA yesterday has the expected behaviour.

I do need to do my do a proper job of my PLA drier. Originally it was a 10 litre food bucket, lined with radiator insulation with a 40 watt incandescent light for the heat source, a fan to circulate the air and a temperature humidity sensor, all controlled by a Raspberry pi. For various reasons it has been stripped back and is currently an STC-1000, the lamp and a USB fan. I'll put it on my do list.

BTW the drying temp for PLA is exactly the same as the culture temperature for yogurt and I use it for both. :cool:

As @Davegase shows, Inkbird do not suggest in the manual that the "PT" setting does anything other than I said.

I stopped ranting about the "inherent defect" because it seems the "compressor delay" was an un-necessary extension anyway: The "defect" (which was doing the opposite of a "compressor delay") wasn't destroying compressors as anticipated. Or ... "compressor delay" deals with a non-existent problem these days?

As @Davegase shows, Inkbird do not suggest in the manual that the "PT" setting does anything other than I said.

I stopped ranting about the "inherent defect" because it seems the "compressor delay" was an un-necessary extension anyway: The "defect" (which was doing the opposite of a "compressor delay") wasn't destroying compressors as anticipated. Or ... "compressor delay" deals with a non-existent problem these days?

Yes, it does. Second picture, first paragraph. It says that if the time since last off is greater than delay then it starts immediately and if the interval is less it will delay it calculating from the last off.

To be perfectly honest I have tested this myself. Several times now and don't think the inkbird only operates how you suggest.

Yes, cooling is delayed at power on, if PT is set, as expected.

But mine also has a flashing cooling light when the target temp is exceeded and it appears to be waiting before actually turning on the cooling device.

BUT... the speed of the temp rise and/or frequency also seem to affect it. Because sometimes it comes on immediately.

This could be that I am rushing it (rushing to the next temp) and a timer is still active. Dunno 🤷🤷

Inkbird might be right, but TBH I would like to see more detail from them, because I am not prepared to run the scenarios necessary to decode it.

All I can say for sure is that I have seen my inkbird wait before turning on cooling, and this is not immediately after power on.

If you use chiller pumps and coils this is not an issue. I have and it worked flawlessly. Set PT=0.

Cooling with all its choices, lead time, lag time, sizes, fluids, temp ranges and timings make it far more complex than heating.

I also truly believe freezers make it more difficult, because you are using them in a temp range they were never designed for. Because of this the compressor in a freezer is cycled quicker.

Fridges and freezers are not the same, the parameters are not as simple as "turn it up a bit".

Last edited:
... if the interval is less it will delay it calculating from the last off.
It does say that doesn't it.

And it's not an outright lie.

It only suggests it is "calculating from the last off" <sic> ... which can be misinterpreted. It doesn't say "calculating from the last elapsed delay", which it doesn't (that would be a lie), instead they are happy for people to assume that. Devious.

It does say that doesn't it.

And it's not an outright lie.

It only suggests it is "calculating from the last off" <sic> ... which can be misinterpreted. It doesn't say "calculating from the last elapsed delay", which it doesn't (that would be a lie), instead they are happy for people to assume that. Devious.
The exact words (last sentence, para 1) "right after the moment of refrigeration stops". I admit it could be better worded but that means end of the cooling cycle. It won't take previous delays (or not) into consideration as they are not relevant, just the end of the last cycle. That's how I've programmed it into my custom controllers - on power up assume fridge has just gone off and then remember the last off time to calculate delay time (or not) of the next request for cooling.

From the @MashBag post it does look like it delays refrigeration between cycles if needed, same flashing light as the STC.

Ah.. Yes.
Timed from "stop" not next "request for cooling". It does look like that. Good spot. But I am not testing it again 🤣🤣

I am happy it works, of the gazillions of units inkbird must produce, I would have expected to have heard/seen more about this out issue.

And yes, the flashing is the same as I have seen on my STC's

Last edited:
The exact words (last sentence, para 1) "right after the moment of refrigeration stops". I admit it could be better worded but that means end of the cooling cycle. It won't take previous delays (or not) into consideration as they are not relevant, just the end of the last cycle. That's how I've programmed it into my custom controllers - on power up assume fridge has just gone off and then remember the last off time to calculate delay time (or not) of the next request for cooling. ...
Ah, I'm trying not to be too negative about them. But you're right ...

They are just liars.

(With reference to the ITC-308).

Ok? What bit doesn't work for you?
You know. I'm off to dentist now, so I'm not starting another rant. There's loads of ranting about Inkbird on this forum (not just me!) going back to ... 2018 wasn't it? I think the conclusion was ... well, they're cheap.

Back