Fermentation fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcusp

Reaction score
Looking for some advice at my first go at converting a fridge.
I've just purchased a stc1000 and a 60w tube heater and from looking at previous posts it appears fairly simple however do I need to disconnect or override the fridge thermostat or if not what should I set it at.
I'm looking to use the stc and heater for both fermenting and for lagering

Mine is set to as low as it will go, the fridge only springs into life when the STC-1000 reads a high temperature which needs cooling.

Jeltz said:
Mine is set to as low as it will go, the fridge only springs into life when the STC-1000 reads a high temperature which needs cooling.
+1 I have my fridge set as low as it will go. It has reached -1C and turned off via the STC 1000. I suppose it depends on your fridge model, but for most purposes you won't need to go that low anyway.

here is my stc unit works sweet as a nut blue bit to fridge red to tube heater sorted :thumb:

stc-1.jpg
[/URL]

stc-2.jpg
[/URL]

Mine is similar (must figure out how to load images)- only in a cheap plastic sandwich box because I live in the **** end of nowhere and the nearest maplins is in the next time zone. I got my first fridge brew going yesterday now and it was rock steady at 20 C with reasuring regular 'farts' into the blow off bottle when I looked this morning. Haven't looked this evening because this is Wales and it has ****** down non-stop all sodding day and it's down the garden in the shed - guess it's tea followed by a glass of red wine later!

people use photobucket.com :thumb: as far as i know :D

devexwarrior said:
Mine is similar (must figure out how to load images)- only in a cheap plastic sandwich box because I live in the **** end of nowhere and the nearest maplins is in the next time zone. I got my first fridge brew going yesterday now and it was rock steady at 20 C with reasuring regular 'farts' into the blow off bottle when I looked this morning. Haven't looked this evening because this is Wales and it has ****** down non-stop all sodding day and it's down the garden in the shed - guess it's tea followed by a glass of red wine later!

Thanks for the advice guys everything seems easy enough now just got to wait for bits to arrive :thumb:

Marcusp said:
do I need to disconnect or override the fridge thermostat or if not what should I set it at

I took a completely different approach from everyone else and instead of having the two mains sockets and plugging the fridge and heater into them, I wired my STC1000 into the fridge. So I went into the fridge connector block, disconnected light/thermostat (I want to be able to go to 1C or lower anyway, so the fridge thermostat is no good) and connected the STC1000 into its place. Um, simple, and saves buying sockets.

(You just need to fit an extra one-way connector block somewhere to wire in the live to the tube heater.)

I too wired into the compressor and fan directly but my fridge had it all sat on top for easy access, either way works.. so whatever suits u best.

a leggo style connector strip rated to 13A or more with at least 9 connectors makes it a breeze.. allocate 3 to L, N and E for power in, 3 for heating and 3 for cooling, and use the correct colour wires for connecting up from a bit of 13a flex

have fun.

Likewise, I hardwired the lot in a little project box (rather than using sockets) and bypassed the thermostat. Very simple :thumb:

I made mine dead simple. Wired the STC to the mains, wired the mains plug of both freezer and tube heater to the STC, Job done

Back