Fermentation Issues?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pezza24

Regular.
Reaction score
Set off my first AG on Saturday and it was happily blipping away in the kitchen. But I then moved it to the garage on Sunday and attached my home made heating belt too it.

It's a length of heat tracing cable and an STC1000 to control the temp to 20C. All wrapped in a foil camping Matt to keep it nice and toasty. I've come home from work and there's no bubbles but the controller is reading 20C.

Popped the lid and there's no sign of a Krausen which I was expecting. Surely the fermentation isn't finished already it's only been two days.

Everything smelt fine and there was a ring of scum around the top which I assume used to be Krausen?

I didn't want to mess too much so didn't take a gravity reading.

I'll have to check but I think it was Lallemand Windsor rehydrated as per packet instructions. Only thing that could have gone wrong with the yeast was I got delayed and it was sat rehydrated in a pint glass for a few hours but I can't see that being too much of a problem?

I think that is like the m15 I just used and it was the same way a practically non existent and incredibly fast ferment. Taking a gravity reading now the only way to tell if it's done, likely it is and you will also likely have a higher fg than you anticipated.

From the way it was going off the other day I thought I may have a quick one but as I haven't brewed for 5 years I wasn't sure. I'll leave it going in the garage until the weekend with the lid on and see what happens at the weekend. Could be in the bottle and ready to drink a lot sooner than I hoped lol.

Worth taking a sample and checking the gravity, I purchased a Tilt (Bluetooth enabled hydrometer that sits in your fermentor) and it always suprised me how quickly some yeasts would work, I.e. batch of bitter I made recently pitched the yeast at 1.036 on a Sunday at 11 AM, by six AM Monday it had hit 1.020 and by 6PM that day it had to hit 1.011. By 8PM on Tuesday it had hit its final gravity of 1.007, I kegged it on the Saturday. This was using S-04 which always seems to be a really rapid yeast, so yes their are fairly good odds that it had finished.

Well what you are describing affirms the mantra.If the yeast like the conditions they will ferment.
Give them what they need and all yeast will do the business

Worth taking a sample and checking the gravity, I purchased a Tilt (Bluetooth enabled hydrometer that sits in your fermentor) and it always suprised me how quickly some yeasts would work, I.e. batch of bitter I made recently pitched the yeast at 1.036 on a Sunday at 11 AM, by six AM Monday it had hit 1.020 and by 6PM that day it had to hit 1.011. By 8PM on Tuesday it had hit its final gravity of 1.007, I kegged it on the Saturday. This was using S-04 which always seems to be a really rapid yeast, so yes their are fairly good odds that it had finished.

Good point about the Tilt. If I get the bug again I may have to make a purchase of one.

@johncrobinson Yeah I guess everything must have been perfect for it. More luck than judgement.

Back