SS Brewtech Brew Bucket Mini and fermentation temperature control

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake122

Reaction score
I have an SS Brewtech brew bucket mini and have been thinking about how to control the temperature of the fermentation.

Having only been doing AG for about a year I'd like to improve the quality of my beer and from what I've read controlling the fermentation temperature will have the biggest impact on this. I have a brew belt for raising the temperature but have no way of reducing it. My beer ferements at room temperature in most cases. Have done a few batches with Kveik using the heat belt which have come out quite well.

I don't have a lot of space so was wondering if anyone who has a brew bucket mini could recommend a small fridge I could convert to use for fermenting in. The smallest fridge possible would be best as it will need to go on top of the counter in my utility room.

Alternatively, has anyone got experience with the SS Brewtech FTSs cooling system? You need an external chilling source for this. Would an aquarium chiller work?

I have an SS Brewtech brew bucket mini and have been thinking about how to control the temperature of the fermentation.

Having only been doing AG for about a year I'd like to improve the quality of my beer and from what I've read controlling the fermentation temperature will have the biggest impact on this. I have a brew belt for raising the temperature but have no way of reducing it. My beer ferements at room temperature in most cases. Have done a few batches with Kveik using the heat belt which have come out quite well.

I don't have a lot of space so was wondering if anyone who has a brew bucket mini could recommend a small fridge I could convert to use for fermenting in. The smallest fridge possible would be best as it will need to go on top of the counter in my utility room.

Alternatively, has anyone got experience with the SS Brewtech FTSs cooling system? You need an external chilling source for this. Would an aquarium chiller work?
I have used the ss brewtech cooling system with the brew bucket mini for a number of years now. I use it with a small cooler box that I place up to 2x 2l frozen water bottles in. This works absolutely fine for the most part. In the summer (UK) if fermenting an ale, I replace one or two bottles every 24 hours during the first 3 or so days of fermentation and then don't usually need to maintain cooling unless it's very hot. For lager, you're probably looking at changing the bottles a little more regularly. Obviously a fridge is easier if you have the room. I don't which is the reason I bought the small brewbucket in the first place. You can use glycol chillers but seems like overkill for a 12l fermenter.

I have used the ss brewtech cooling system with the brew bucket mini for a number of years now. I use it with a small cooler box that I place up to 2x 2l frozen water bottles in. This works absolutely fine for the most part. In the summer (UK) if fermenting an ale, I replace one or two bottles every 24 hours during the first 3 or so days of fermentation and then don't usually need to maintain cooling unless it's very hot. For lager, you're probably looking at changing the bottles a little more regularly. Obviously a fridge is easier if you have the room. I don't which is the reason I bought the small brewbucket in the first place. You can use glycol chillers but seems like overkill for a 12l fermenter.
This sounds great. Did you need to make any modifications to the cool box and would you be able to recommend one that would be suitable?

This sounds great. Did you need to make any modifications to the cool box and would you be able to recommend one that would be suitable?
You could use any coolbox in theory. This is the one I use but it's discontinued.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/connabride-cool-box-12l/p/0346376
You can just put the tubing under the lid, but you'll obviously lose some insulation that way with the gaps. I drilled a couple of holes in the lid for the pump in and out pipes and the cable.

You could consider using an electric coolbox. Peltier coolers aren't great but may be able to keep water cool for lowering temperatures for ale fermentation and keeping the ice bottles frozen for longer. Something I've been meaning to try but haven't got round to as my system works enough for now.

I use a cheap aquarium heater for keeping water warm in winter. I've heard you shouldn't use brew belts on stainless steel fermenters for safety reasons. Someone else may be able to give you more details on that.

Thanks Ben, I hadn't considered the safety of the heat belt and fermenter before, so I think it's time to stop using it. Think I'll go with a cool box and the SS cooling system. Seems like what I need. Many thanks for the help.

Thanks Ben, I hadn't considered the safety of the heat belt and fermenter before, so I think it's time to stop using it. Think I'll go with a cool box and the SS cooling system. Seems like what I need. Many thanks for the help.
No worries. Let us know how it goes. You can get heat mats instead, which could be an option as this would only be touching the rubber base. Heating the water isn't ideal as you have to regularly change it to stop it getting gross. Not a major issue for me though.

IMG_20211105_124047.jpg

That looks brilliant and doesn't take up much space either.

Would recommend a decent set of quick disconnects on the tubing to make your life a lot easier

Last edited:
I've previously had a look at table top fridges and unfortunately haven't yet found one that would be suitable. Especially when you take into account the compressor at the bottom. The mini brewbucket is quite tall and thin unfortunately. If you have room for an under counter fridge it would be ideal. Otherwise, the cool box isn't a bad option for the most part.

I've previously had a look at table top fridges and unfortunately haven't yet found one that would be suitable. Especially when you take into account the compressor at the bottom. The mini brewbucket is quite tall and thin unfortunately. If you have room for an under counter fridge it would be ideal. Otherwise, the cool box isn't a bad option for the most part.
Think I'll go with the coolbox. What kind of fittings do you use on the lid of the cool box to ensure a tight seal?

I use a cool box with my 60l 'plastic' fermenter and only use small bore silicone tubing with a small, matchbox size, 12v submersible pump )operated vis an Inkbird). I just pull the tubing off the immersion coil when finished (make sure the pump is off and keep the tubing ends high so as not to get a syphon effect).
I also have a small aquarium temp probe and gauge so as I can monitor the temp in the cool box and see when I need to replace the ice blocks

DSCF6333.JPG

I use a cool box with my 60l 'plastic' fermenter and only use small bore silicone tubing with a small, matchbox size, 12v submersible pump )operated vis an Inkbird). I just pull the tubing off the immersion coil when finished (make sure the pump is off and keep the tubing ends high so as not to get a syphon effect).
I also have a small aquarium temp probe and gauge so as I can monitor the temp in the cool box and see when I need to replace the ice blocks

View attachment 57169
This looks great, hopefully I can get all the bits and pieces before my next brew

I have now purchased the equipment needed to make this work.

FTSs - Ordered from themaltmiller, got a 5% discount

Coolbox - Igloo Profile 16 Small 15 Litre Cool Box

Icepacks - 8 packs, 4 for the coolbox and 4 for the freezer. To be changed out every 12 hours

Bulkhead manifoldx2 - The supplied tubing with the FTSs is 12mm external diameter. These bulkhead fittings did the trick. Metric John Guest, Speedfit Bulkhead Connector 12mm : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I didn't have a drill big enough make the holes in the coolbox lid for the manifolds so also had to get a 1 inch hole saw as well. Was still a little to tight to fit them so had to sand the holes a fair bit.

Just brewed a Helles and it's sitting stable at 12C. Many thanks for the help getting it going.

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_211657517.jpg
    IMG_20211121_211657517.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back