Fermentation not kicked in

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midlife

Reaction score
I pitched a wyeast that was a couple months out of date and the fermentation looks as though it hasn't started. Coming up to 24hrs now so how long before I need to pitch another, I have an S-04 as a back up.

Its my first AG and its all gone well and smells wonderful so don't want to loose it.

Cheers

D

I had something similar, just as a tester for some old yeast I had (to see if it was dead), its been 4 days now, and the container isn't even pressurized yet, so I'm thinking, the yeast is dead once passed the use by date or something similar.

Did you rehydrate first? The best thing to do with dried yeast is to put it in a couple of hundred mililitres of boiled water in a sterile jug, allowed to cool to blood temp. (35-37C) Then add it to the wort when the temp. has fallen to wort temp (18-20C).
If you didn't do this then, as above, I'd wait a bit to see if it comes alive.
The rehydration thing gives you maximum yeast cell survival. Particularly important with an older yeast where you may already have lost many cells to old age. Weare told that if you pitch into cold wort you are likely to kill half your cells.
The temp. at which you rehydrate does vary from yeast to yeast but blood temp. is good for an average ale yeast. Lager yeasts, in particular, may differ.

Yes done that, had to pitch the S-04 in the end but it has started now. Unfortunately when I stirred the wort for the yeast I've disturbed the clumps, which exposed my second error i.e. slightly to much protofloc...

Still smells good, and tastes ok so currently hanging in. Quite funny really in hindsight.... I thought I would have issues with my first AG mash but got good efficiency and OG! Seems the bit I normally do is where I had a slight balls up.

I have some clumps at the top now with the yeast head... does this normally sort itself out in the end i.e. ferment out ok? I normally transfer to a 2nd FV before bottling.

Cheers

D

Latest posts

Back