Fermentation Stopped

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for the responce to my 'explosive' stout, all seems ok now, still fermenting.

I started a coopers bitter and all seem ok but after 2 days it appears as thought the fermentation has stopped, I think it down to the drop in temp in my utility room, dropped to 16 degres, I have now cleared one of the kitchen units, insulated it and moved the keg into the new location.

I think I will need to install some form of heating to maintain the temp. in the unit and would welcome suggestions from forum members, also is it possible to re-start my bitter or is it to late?.

Thanks Again

Jeff

Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum :thumb:
I think I will need to install some form of heating to maintain the temp. in the unit and would welcome suggestions from forum members
For accurate control you could use a STC 1000 and a tubular heater.
If you have them around you could also use a 100w light bulb abd a central heating controller, simple but it works.
You could also put the fv in a large bucket of water and use a aquarium heater to heat the water
You could use a brew belt wrapped around the fv
and probably some other options I've forgotten :grin:
also is it possible to re-start my bitter or is it to late?
The increase in temp could wake the yeast up, a stir with a sanitised spoon wouldn't hurt just try to avoid splashing air into it. Did you have/ did you take a hydrometer reading before and now?

Hi Vossy,

I'm quite new to this too so someone will prob need to correct me if i'm wrong :oops: .....

but after 2 days it appears as thought the fermentation has stopped

How do you know that the fermentstion has stopped? have you taken grav readings or are you just going by the bubbles coming out of your airlock? If you are going by the airlock, this is not always the best indicator of a stopped fermentation. I'd say do a couple of grav readings and then if they're constant for a few days think about spending £'s on heating systems......

Good luck! :thumb:

:thumb: Thanks for the replys, I did do a gravity reading at the start and will check again, as a newbie I just took it for granted that theres little going on if the vent stops bubbling.

:nah: From one extream to the other, Irish Stout takes the lid off the fermentor, Bitter can't blow a bubble through the vent!!!! interesting craft.

I have been working on a way to give a constant heat to the brew and will feed back later if successful.

Will check the gravity over the next two days and feed back my results for further advice.

Thanks again

Jeff

:cheers: Morning all, bitter now fermenting well, checked my new brew kitchen unit, distinct smell of beer, so somthing must be happening, the brew was venting through thread on the screw cover, a touch of petroleum jelly around the thread and within seconds the air lock was active, a lesson learned...........

Thanks Vossy
:cheers: Will still look at your suggestions for heating and will feed back my solution

Latest posts

Back