Fermentation tub, to fasten lid tight or not?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've set away my first ever 23 litre tub with a stout kit this afternoon and left for the initial 7 days in the cupboard under the stairs.

Now it might be my imagination but the lid seems to be pushed out as if the air is expanding to force the container lid up, is there any risk this could explode? It's right next to my gas meter.

Do you usually lightly place the lid to allow the mix to breath? Or is tight as a drum usual and no cause for alarm?

During fermentation CO2 is produced that will pressurise your tub. Usually, the lid would have a hole fitted with a rubber grommet so that you can fit a bubbler to allow the excess gas to escape. Some brewers just cover their tub with cling film or even leave it open to allow the fermentation gases to escape as the pressure builds up. If you don’t have a hole in your lid it’s likely it will be popped off or just leak (depending how tight a fit it is) to vent the excess gas.
Good luck with your first brew athumb..

I doubt you'll have any problem. It's what I always do; I don't have an air-lock on my plastic buckets, and the seal of the lid to the atmosphere is not perfect, but I figure that a layer of CO2 covers the wort at the start of fermentation anyway. After a few days I transfer to demi-johns under air-locks, and have never had a problem.

I doubt you'll have any problem. It's what I always do; I don't have an air-lock on my plastic buckets, and the seal of the lid to the atmosphere is not perfect, but I figure that a layer of CO2 covers the wort at the start of fermentation anyway. After a few days I transfer to demi-johns under air-locks, and have never had a problem.
I know this is a very old thread, but I'd like to use demijohns (under air lock) to store my beer before bottling. Do you top them up to the neck? And how long can you keep them before bottling?

I know this is a very old thread, but I'd like to use demijohns (under air lock) to store my beer before bottling. Do you top them up to the neck? And how long can you keep them before bottling?
more often they foam up and bubble quite a lot in the first couple of days before settling down. If you fill to the neck stand on a tray or in a bowl and keep an eye on it as it will usually blow out through the airlock.
to avoid this fill to the demijohn shoulder but still stand on a tray or bowl. top up later once it's settled down

PS times for fermentation can very with temperature and yeast, normally a week should be finished once the airlock shows no activity so 10 days to 14 before bottling you could test with hydrometer

more often they foam up and bubble quite a lot in the first couple of days before settling down. If you fill to the neck stand on a tray or in a bowl and keep an eye on it as it will usually blow out through the airlock.
to avoid this fill to the demijohn shoulder but still stand on a tray or bowl. top up later once it's settled down
I would fill higher than that to limit oxygen. Transfer when FG has been steady for a few days, fermentation complete. Fermentation may start again on transfer. Use an airlock to allow any gas out.

Back