Fermenter recommendation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewshed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my fermenter and am now looking at all options from plastic buckets through to steel conicals. I suspect that I would probably only be able to afford a plastic conical but might look at an SS Chronicle if feeling rich although the Speidel Kellermeister also looked an option. Does anyone have experience and advice on which fermenters are best to buy please?

Thanks

Conicals are a nice thing for sure but for me temperature control is more important and to get a conical into a brew fridge would be a right pain, i.e. I'd need a bigger fridge. Cheapo plastic buckets for me. Just something to consider before parting with your hard earned :)

I need to replace my fermenter and am now looking at all options from plastic buckets through to steel conicals. I suspect that I would probably only be able to afford a plastic conical but might look at an SS Chronicle if feeling rich although the Speidel Kellermeister also looked an option. Does anyone have experience and advice on which fermenters are best to buy please?

Thanks
I've got a 7US Gal Chronical and its great...very reliable and quick fermentations...and easy to harvest yeast plus easy to empty quickly via racking arm. If you don't want to spent that amount you could go for the brewmaster conical bucket....the one with thermowell and thermometer included (Malt Miller £185) . Temp control is crucial and I was surprised that in the first few days of fermentation the temp inside is 3-4deg c above outside temp.

What about glass carboys? ive just ordered one to age a sour in and was thinking if I get on with it then maybe its the way to go. Cheaper than stainless and all our US friends seem to love um:cheers:

I've literally just done a video on my YouTube channel on selecting a new fermenter after assessing plastic conicals vs ss conicals vs plastic buckets. And I've ended up with (as in my latest video) going for a SS brew tech bucket.

I'm planning on videos after on how its performed in fermenting, conditioning and racking/bottling.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many thanks for all your advice. I decided to stick with a plastic bucket for the moment seeing as this is my first time back in brewing for 10 years. I suspect I will be buying a conical soon though!

I have several of these (3rd one down on the page):

http://www.ampulla.co.uk/Shop-For-Plastic/Plastic-Buckets-and-Pails/c-65-170-113/

This bucket benefits from a really airtight snap lid so an airlock can be reliably fitted (esp if you put a bead of silicone grease round the lip). However, the lid can be tough to get off - not recommended if you're arthritic!
They also benefit from being very cheap!! :thumb:

I only brew British-style beers, with heavily top-fermenting yeasts, and I top-crop the yeast for re-use. So I guess I wouldn't find a conical fermenter much of an advantage. Can conical-users tell me if I'm right here?
Cheers

Latest posts

Back