Using pump on Klarstein XXL to dispense into fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iain Wishart

Reaction score
Hi, looking for some advice please. I've recently moved from a 25l Klarstein with no built in pump for recirculation etc to a 50l model with a pump built in. Previously I would just manually recirculate and have the kettle elevated on a table to brew and just dispense into the fermentation bucket below on the ground opening the tap on the kettle. Can the recirculation pump be used for transfer into fermenter allowing me to have the kettle on the ground when brewing? Any advice in relation to other use of the pump would be appreciated. Cheers. Iain

I don't know klarstein 50l personally, but the recirc could easily be diverted. If nothing else than by squeezing a length to silicone cured hose over the pipe.

It will also make cleaning very much easier.

More complex... do a mod to pop a 3 way diverter valve on it.

BM 20 low pumped tap

I also run fermentation in the kettle so it doesn't move at all.

I am currently configuring the pump to do the bottling 😁

So yes indeed, internal pumps can do so much more.

@Iain Wishart
Just been googling...

This looks nice. That junction will just spin round, aim it at the fermentation vessel and you will also get free aeration.

I would also get some silicone hose and another camlock connector for everthing else. Maltmiller supply both.

Klarstein have done a lot of the work for you. Happy days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231120-062640_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20231120-062640_Brave.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0
Yes you should be fine doing it with the fermenter next to the kettle. Things to watch out for are pump blockers and general trub. Whole hops will have to be contained, pellets are normally ok. If you manually whirlpool then let it settle you can pump out most of the wort before the cone collapses and goes into the pump inlet.

You can use the pump to transfer but as has been said unless you can get a filter for the pump inlet inside the kettle you do risk a blocked pump at times even with a filter.
Myself I use a bazooka filter on the tap and just slightly tilt the kettle once it gets low and run it into a FV below the tap so I can stop it when too much trub is entering also this drop from the tap to the FV aerates the wort

Last edited:
Hi, looking for some advice please. I've recently moved from a 25l Klarstein with no built in pump for recirculation etc to a 50l model with a pump built in. Previously I would just manually recirculate and have the kettle elevated on a table to brew and just dispense into the fermentation bucket below on the ground opening the tap on the kettle. Can the recirculation pump be used for transfer into fermenter allowing me to have the kettle on the ground when brewing? Any advice in relation to other use of the pump would be appreciated. Cheers. Iain
Thanks for all the advice it's really appreciated will very handy to know before making a brew.

I use the whirl pool arm to make a hop cone so no need for a hop spider or bazooka but you could just stir with a spoon. I just pump the whirlpool for a couple min remove the arm then leave it undisturbed for about 10-15min.

Then I attached a hose to the sparge arm to transfer out to fermenter. Although go through a sieve basically there is no hop matter but I still do that because it's also a good way to aerate. I recently purchased a male camlock to hose barb fitting but not tried it yet but that will save the hose from getting a little damaged by the sharp metal end of the sparge arm when attaching the hose.

This works because klarstein pump inlet / bottom drain is off to the side so you couldn't do this with say a new brewzilla where the bottom drain is in the center.

I have the 30l Klarstein and just stick a length of silicon onto the recirculation arm and pump away. I do use a hop spider to reduce chance of pump blocking. Easy enough to clear pump tho, just blow down the tube.

Latest posts

Back