Fermenting Ales Under Pressure.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I ferment ales under pressure...

• Total voters

Sadfield

Landlord.
Reaction score
Excluding the tail end of fermentation in order to carbonate, if you're fermenting top fermented ales under pressure at what temperature and pressure?

Last edited:
Pressure ferment curious but experiments so far yield no significant difference or improvement in beer over and above some practice benefits such as carbonating and saving a bit on co2 and fermenting at higher temp saving some energy on running chiller until cold crash. If I brewed lagers I suspect I’d do it all the time.

I ferment under pressure. End result is the same it just speeds up fermentation because you can up the temp a bit and it saves on co2 when carbing but the biggest thing for me is you can sacrifice extra head space because the krausen is kept under control by the pressure which gets you more end product

did an experiment recently, beer yeast against bread yeast with identical brews, result no difference in taste but bread yeast gives a lousy yeast bed.

I’m a “mainly” so not always but more often than ”sometimes”.

American ales - pales, NEIPAs, WCIPAs, American wheats etc - I do, and also any other ales that are supposed to have clean fermentation character. NEIPAs I wait until high krausen before putting the pressure in. I usually ferment around 20-22C at 5ish and increase to serving pressure at high krausen.

Saisons, Belgian pale/blonde/tripel/dubbel (although I rarely brew them), witbiers, hefeweizen, Bitter etc I generally use my Spiedel fermenting barrel without pressure.

Latest posts

Back